Plastic in the oceans

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you need be concerned that you are not getting enough mico-plastic particles in your diet from ocean creatures, recent testing confirms substantial quantities in all popular brands of bottled water, and most packaged foods  ;)
I tend to be more concerned for the negative impacts on the life forms in the oceans than the percolation into humans.
While it may take considerable time to understand all the ramifications of micro plastics and plastic chemical leaching on human health, as none of our self imposed toxifications has seemed to slow the population growth rate yet it would seem likely that humans will wipe themselves out by other means long before self induced poisoning!
While I do everything I can to reduce my consumption and collect for recycling all plastics I wind up with ( and embrace the likely futility of it all), I also recognize the myriad of fantastic applications of these incredible materials.
Like everything on this planet except for sunshine, the elements required to make it are in finite supply. Many materials essential for industry are mined out in all but one location. Just one of the reasons I do not like to see plastics being being frivolously wasted, one of the reasons there is so much of it in the oceans.

nielsk said:
I don't think you need be concerned that you are not getting enough mico-plastic particles in your diet from ocean creatures, recent testing confirms substantial quantities in all popular brands of bottled water, and most packaged foods  ;)
I wouldn't buy bottled water if I had all your money, it seems kind of silly if you think about it.

I haven't eaten processed foods this century or longer, but not because of "microplastics" whatever they are. I actually read the labels and they were full of stuff I don't add when I cook.

I was a little disappointed when reading the label on a can of crushed tomatoes that they added salt, but sometimes in summer months when I do a lot of work outdoors I have to supplement salt (to avoid night time muscle cramps). Reading the label for diced tomatoes they also add calcium chloride (another salt) that seems almost healthy, while they don't add salts for health reasons.
I tend to be more concerned for the negative impacts on the life forms in the oceans than the percolation into humans.
While it may take considerable time to understand all the ramifications of micro plastics and plastic chemical leaching on human health, as none of our self imposed toxifications has seemed to slow the population growth rate yet it would seem likely that humans will wipe themselves out by other means long before self induced poisoning!
relax, don't worry...
While I do everything I can to reduce my consumption and collect for recycling all plastics I wind up with ( and embrace the likely futility of it all), I also recognize the myriad of fantastic applications of these incredible materials.
Like everything on this planet except for sunshine, the elements required to make it are in finite supply. Many materials essential for industry are mined out in all but one location. Just one of the reasons I do not like to see plastics being being frivolously wasted, one of the reasons there is so much of it in the oceans.
Maybe google bioplastics...plastics can be made from renewable resources. While the human race could survive running out of plastic, it looks like we won't have to worry about that either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioplastic

JR

There have been some wonderful plastic type materials that look to be truly bio-degradable made from hemp, a low water and fertilizer crop that has seemingly endless uses 8)

Back