Plastic or Galvanized Garbage Cans?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
OK, so I  no longer trust the "suits" on the TV anymore, I think they are trying to stall us, it looks like this whole nightmare could turn ugly in a hurry, and we might have to take it down to Street Level survival.

So if I were to bury a garbage can full of rice and wheat and whatnot up in the hills so I can watch the carnage from safety, which would be better, plastic or galvanized?

Someone told me today that if you bury a galvanized can, it will rust, WTF, over?

Thanks for the help,

Panhandlin Slim.

Galv will rust eventually, and may not be as water tight as plastic.
Get some 55gal plastic storage barrels....won't crush. Will also hold water.

Where exactly will you be burying these ?

Just curious.

=FB=

Did I say there was gonna be beer in there?

OK, GPS Coords:

Horizontal:  098576f8765dp08ymj09845f890y7c 0hi0bhr908y
Vertical: -67gn098yuv0n9vt5409834tm9v
Lateral:098yg609856y9u80u90uuj0gi09650i9

> turn ugly in a hurry

The gal-steel will be fine through next month's riots. Even next year, if anybody is left.

> if you bury a galvanized can, it will rust, WTF

In the dank north-east, those few trashcans which don't get run-over by the garbage truck will rust even without getting buried. The fun part is: sometimes the sides look fine, but when you lift it, the bottom and all your herb falls out because the seam sucked damp up from the ground.

20 years in damp ground will rust gal-steel, at least the stuff on trash-cans.

But rice stored 20 years in cheap plastic will be full of so much petro-vapor that your kidneys will rot out.

As fb suggests, pickle shipping barrels are sturdy, rust-free, and low-toxicity. (As far as we know or are told today.... but we used to snort lead and PCBs and PCV and now they say that was bad.) 5-gallon water-cooler bottles may be good if you can divert them without losing your deposit.

High and DRY. Grain left in The Pyramids in baskets for 3K years is not too fresh but far from totally dead. Old missile silos tend to be damp, but silo-control bunkers may be dry.

OK, then, I'm set.

Come to think of it, I do remember the "Flex=O=Cans" that were drug to the curve every Sunday night.

The bottoms were so tore up that they flexed under heavy load like so many acordians.

Remember when you could leave a six pack on the trash can lid and they would haul the hide-a-bed for free?

Gone are the days.

Now you would have to pay three people to recycle the components.

Lets see, lead springs here, pcb cloth there, ok now take the frame over to the Demolition Dept and pay them.

The backroads around here are starting to look like Smokey Mountains.

See if you can find a ceramic crock source in Koreatown?  They bury them for kim chee and other fermentables production.
Any fresh grains are subject to spoilage no matter how you store them.  Even an airtight shipping barrel will bug-breach or rot.  We don't stock fresh food in our bunker.  We rotate MRE's through it in a 3 year cycle.  :wink:  Start hunting and making venison and raccoon jerky.

And you are in a city- how could you ever get out to the hills during Helter-Skelter or The End of Days anyway?  By the time it is reported, it will be too late.  We here are landlocked by NYC.  The only way out for us is by boat.  Sew the family jewels in our corsets and hump the kayak 3 miles to LI sound.
Uh, good luck with that there. . .
Mike

> Sew the family jewels in our corsets and hump the kayak 3 miles to LI sound.

One of my ancestors worked a lighthouse at Long Island. And the Sound used to freeze-up in winter. There is a family story that one winter, he WALKED across the Sound to get medicine for his wife.

More likely, he walked across a branch of the Sound, from one fork of land to the next, when 5 miles of ice was more passable than 20 miles of hilly road.

Does galvanized metal release toxic chemicals?  I know welding galvanized metal is a big NO-NO because of this, but will the metal release the chems on it's own, like outgassing from certain types of plastic?

turn ugly in a hurry

If it really did get to the street level (literally), I'd rather have a galvenized trash can o hit someone over the head with than a plastic one. 8)

We just got new recycle bins on our street.  This new bin is literally three times as big as our garbage bin...funny.

Back