Please help me find these little pots?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcheeba

I'm having trouble getting any supplies of these little 12mm pots. They have a 15mm shaft with the 6mm knurled split. I need ones for pan and gain duties (B20k & A10K). The console company is now out of business and I can't get enough spares.
The only ones available seem to be 16mm. Maybe there is an alternative through hole style of pot?
I thank you in advance for any help you can provide me with! Best, Paul
IMG_0206.jpeg

what console company?
those look like bourns pots.

In a pinch could maybe wire the pot off board with leads and find an alternate like alpha or bi which would fit.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. It was an 500 series Ocean Ark but Malcolm doesn't have any. They do look like the Bourns style pots but the base diameter is 12mm instead of 16mm which makes it an awkward choice.
I haven't found a company yet that will fit the board directly, I noticed an older pot in there with an @lpha logo but they don't seem to have 12mm ones anymore....

Hopefully we can change the pot to a different style. Maybe a square one with 3 pins.

If anyone else has any other ideas please chip in.

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it. Negotiating 1000 units from Ali Baba can be tricky ;-) How do I get a centre detent? Also how many ohms are Aux pots usually? All the Best!

Back in my kit business days I pretty much standardized on two pot values... single 100k lin, and dual 50k "s"( a linear taper around 50% but with curvature at the extremes). One of my kits a parametric EQ used 8x100k and 4x50k so I used a few... FWIW I still have some in my back lab that will probably end up in landfill.

That must have been quite the investment. Maybe easier than Ali Baba. ;-)

Alibaba was not an option back in the 1970s. Today is much easier in so many ways.

JR

I'm having trouble getting any supplies of these little 12mm pots. They have a 15mm shaft with the 6mm knurled split. I need ones for pan and gain duties (B20k & A10K). The console company is now out of business and I can't get enough spares.
The only ones available seem to be 16mm. Maybe there is an alternative through hole style of pot?
View attachment 91719
View attachment 91719
View attachment 91719
Have you tried Mouser Electronics or Digikey they have a great assortment of Pots.

I’ve tried everywhere and I believe Ali Baba are the only solution. I just worry details may get lost in translation and I’ll end up with 5000 wrong pots when I only need 50. I wanted the exact style but maybe the 10mm square ones will stretch.

View attachment 91719

I have found Alibaba.com companies that will make the pots from between 0.1$ and 0.4$ they are all exactly the same 10 year old designs.
I just don’t know how much to spend. My favourite seller (who understood I was maintaining a mixer) wants 0.3$ each and the cheapest that has all their facts correct is 0.1$ though I suspect there may be hidden transport costs there. Still 1500 pots for £300 delivered is pretty tempting.
Any experienced thoughts?

Latest posts

Back