Plug in Oscilloscope

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

I'm curious if anyone uses and has a recommendation for a plug in (audio units) oscilloscope. I have an old Teletronix and all I use it for is to bias single ended audio circuits, but I feel that for something as basic as viewing and setting symmetrical clipping that there would be a convenient software option that will work inside a DAW. I've seen a number of them whilst searching the internet, but before I download a bunch of them and sort through the different options, I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks!

Paul

Most of the reason for using an oscilloscope is because it shows you voltages. But if you go through an audio interface, those voltages are lost. There's no DC and even when calibrated amplitude is not accurate.

Was there some particular motivating reason to have it in a DAW?  If you are looking to have something on your screen along with your DAW software there are a) plenty of USB-based scopes, and b) lots of stand-alone scopes that have display / monitor outputs.

Matador said:
Was there some particular motivating reason to have it in a DAW?  If you are looking to have something on your screen along with your DAW software there are a) plenty of USB-based scopes, and b) lots of stand-alone scopes that have display / monitor outputs.

Just laziness. I use the generator in my DAW most of the time. Being able to look at the waveform as well would be convenient but not necessary.

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes said:
Just laziness. I use the generator in my DAW most of the time. Being able to look at the waveform as well would be convenient but not necessary.
You don't need it to be in the DAW, it could be an independant app
http://www.sillanumsoft.org/download.htm
However, the previous caveats apply (no DC voltages).

Back