Political Correctness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new here, so maybe I need to learn more about the community first, but I recall certifying I was at least 19 to register, which means to me that "we're all adults here" and can police ourselves without an Electronic Nanny looking over our shoulders.

After all, nobody is fooled by an asterisk. Because we're adults. So why is it there?

I see people say "Gosh" all the time. It varies but in many religions that is a violation of one of the 10 Commandments, because it isn't the spelling that matters, it's what is intended and how it is used.

Some people say "Frick" in "polite society".

Is there any English speakers who don't know what is meant? [And I see neither is subject to the Electronic Leash.]

I find it all rather tiring, splitting hairs for no apparent useful purpose.

But I will defer to those who have built this site before I stumbled upon it. I've had my say but I'll abstain from a vote.

I agree nobody is fooled by it and, as others have pointed out,  it is easy to circumvent so I for one am no longer bothered by it.

Cheers

Ian

mattiasNYC said:
Well,  I don't think any group is actively trying to actually ban Christmas,
Actually there are. Check this
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controverses_de_No%C3%ABl
Different approaches though. Some want to keep X-mas but replace Easter and others with Muslim and Jewish celebrations, which IMO does not solve any issue, just shifts the problem, others want to eradicate the religious content (back to the pagan origins).
It is interesting to note that China, that has no christian tradition, has adopted X-mas with frenzy.

abbey road d enfer said:
Thank you! I've learned something today; not sure if it will help me in my unstoppable ascent to perfection, though  ;D

In Ireland they also use feck, muckin and buckin.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
I noticed sh*te is used more and more often, as if it was innocuous...  :eek:

You are correct. There seems to be a growing trend to slightly modify 'normal' expletives'. It even extends to phrases like 'shut the front door'

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
You are correct. There seems to be a growing trend to slightly modify 'normal' expletives'. It even extends to phrases like 'shut the front door'

Cheers

Ian
I remember, in Dick Francis books, the use of "effing", which might well have been the most outrageous outcome from this conservative writer. :)

> eradicate the religious content (back to the pagan origins).

Uh, pagans don't have religion?

Or is this neo-pagan, where nobody remembers why we (not Christ) burn a pine-tree in early winter?

PRR said:
> eradicate the religious content (back to the pagan origins).

Uh, pagans don't have religion?
Ethymologically, paganus can mean polytheist (particularly influenced by latino-hellenic religions) or heathen, irreligious, atheist. In French, the latter is the most common meaning.

Latest posts

Back