Possibly obvious amp speaker impedance question.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

Hi I just recently acquired a Leslie 710 speaker. I am planning on modifying it so that it is more like a 145/147/122. Being on a bit of a budget I am planning to use the existing SS amps rather than a valve amp for the moment at least. See attached diagram

My plan is to remove the two 6x9 speakers connected to the up amplifier & also the one 6x9 speaker in the lower rotor. I have built a new lower rotor from some drawing supplied to me by a friend & I want to use the 15" speaker for this new bass rotor along with the amp that the 15" speaker is already connected to. I will use the upper rotor horn with it's exisiting amp. I will feed from my Hammond to both the amps so the exisiting crossovers will take care of the freq seperating duties.

Qusetion will removing speakers from one side of the two crossovers screw with the amp/speaker impedance relationship or do I need to hang a Watty resistor in place of these speakers ? I can see that at certain frequencies the amps will effectively be driving into no load but since they are SS this may not be an issue. I am suspecting I can just remove these speakers but just wanted to be sure

Attachments

• 710.gif
    219.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi Rob,

The amps will always see a load.

The stationary channel has an interesting mixed feedback with R90 at the low side. This is the first time I have seen this. Damping control for the woofer?

You will be fine to remove them.

Back