(Potentiometer) shaft adapters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

For some DIY equipment I am looking for 6 mm (or 1/4") to 3 mm shaft adapters.
Who knows who sells these? (Preferably in Europe.)
I need them for some 'dual concentric' switch/pot combinations. The hollow shaft of the switch is only 3 mm.

I need a 3 mm shaft on a 6 mm potentiometer.
I have a feeling they are commercially available, for example Sound Skulptor uses them in their kits in a
similar situation.

Attachments

• DualConcentric.JPG
    DualConcentric.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Mentor also has shaft adapters, but they're for internal use I'd say, room the pot in the case and extend the shaft after adapting it to wanted size... Happy hunting, reichelt has pretty crap site search but there's gold to be found in the various categories :D

To avoid confusion: a have a potentiometer with a 6 mm shaft but I need a 3 mm shaft (to go through the hollow switch). Adapters to fit a 6 mm knob on a 3 or 4 mm shaft are more common.

The problem with those adapters on AliExpress
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000196552485.html
could be that they are too long (with 20mm total length).

I have a similar problem. Broken-off shaft on custom pot. Pot can be replaced but then need 6mm to 3mm flat D adapter. Almost impossible, I think.

So I am thinking a plastic extender like this
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000934887207.html and then use a lathe-like cutting process.

I don't have a 3D printer, unfortunately. But this might be a reason (actually the second one) to finally buy one.

Hole in the shaft, hmm -- vertical or horizontal or both?

And how to make extension stay in place? Don't want it to come off with accidental pulling force on the knob.

I have the same problem , only started with a 4 mm shaft to have a switch on top...

I will tell how i did make a taped 3 mm shaft ( brass ) in the now 6 mm pot...

As for the one-off pot over here, I need a solution that does not involve having to buy expensive high-precision drilling tools. It's all basic DIY handheld.

How about dremelling or filing the 4mm shaft to fit into the slot of a knurled shaft like so?

Then use metal glue? And washers (6mm outside diameter) for centering? Also maybe cut tiny horizontal grooves into both shafts for glue to fill and hold in place?

Major operation though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240717_132247~2.jpg
    IMG_20240717_132247~2.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I went through this a while back. Spent a lot of time researching.

As i understand it, ideally, you’re hoping to find an adapter. Along the lines of this (from the Sound Skulptor kit you referenced):

1721593897720.jpeg
After spending hours looking for essentially the same thing, I concluded that that’s a custom-machined part. You’ll find plenty of off-the-shelf adapters with 4mm shafts and 6mm collars (intended to adapt a drill chuck to a motor shaft), but I don’t think you’ll find a 3mm or 1/8 shaft with a 6mm or 1/4 collar. I even reached out to a couple of industrial supply houses with no luck.

In the end, I had just enough room in the build i was working on to use a reducing shaft coupler like the ones you referenced on Alibaba, along with a separate 1/8 shaft I cut for my needs:

1721658819646.jpeg
The challenge with that solution is that it requires a little extra room vs a true adapter like those shown in the Sound Skulptor site. If you have the luxury of adequate room though, the coupler solution works nicely.

If you do actually find an off-the-shelf adaptor (and I'm not optimistic you will) please share. Good luck.

Last edited:
In the end, I had just enough room in the build i was working on to use a reducing shaft coupler like the ones you referenced on Alibaba, along with a separate 1/8 shaft I cut for my needs.
Do you not get problems with eccentricity? The centre knob jamming against the outer knob?

Back