Power conditioner?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timh

Now that I actually care about the stuff in my rack space (51x) how many of you use a power conditioner for clean power? Is it really necessary? Any recommendations?

Most of the gear we build has there own toroidal power transformer. So power isolation is not such a big deal IMO. As long as you have good power voltage coming in. No brown outs or sags.

I think your better off making sure you don't have any noise sources on your power line circuit, or near your studio. Fluorescent lights, cheap lighting dimmers, compressors and big electrical motors. Good electrical grounding, star grounding, is very important as well.

most of the inexpensive
power conditioners
are nothing more then a fancy power strip that sits in your rack and sometimes offers lights. as mentioned already your better off making sure what's coming off the wall  is correct. Itwill be a better benefit then a rack mount
power conditioners
. However the rack mount power conditioner does offer a simplified way to turn on all the gear at once

Yes! Make sure what you are plugging into is free of your fridge or any appliances with motors especially ac units and washing machines. Then make sure your gounding scheme is implemented properly and that your outlets are well grounded. Limit the number of bad power strips. Do not use ground lifters on studio gear. If you have a hum it is the low votage side not the high.

My experience with audio and Mr. electron has always been related to bad grounding not bad power. I have also had problems with Hertz (I have had problems with older pieces of gear from europe not liking the USA 60Htz and vice-versa) but thats it.

If were you are suffers from brown-outs (low voltage drops) or power outages you might want to consider a UPS battery back-up. That will do more for you than anything else.

The thing I have found to be most stunning as a power upgrade is using a balanced power scheme. But these are costly and not for everything.

More here: http://www.equitech.com/index.html

Back