Power conditioning

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
A friend of mine moved to another apartment in the same building and now she has some electrical interference (high frequency chatter) in her Focal powered speakers even without plugging anything into them. Every plug including in the hallway outside are the same, down the hall on the other side of the building no problem. I found that possibly a power conditioning unit like a Eaton T100H-2500 could help but they are a little pricy
https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-T100H-2500-Suppress-T100-2-5Kva/dp/B00I48OSX0?ref_=ast_sto_dpDo you have any recommendations that would be at a lower price point. I'm attaching a sound file for reference

Attachments

• recording07.wav
    868 KB
Thank you, how do you RF shield powered speakers ? I did a super crude Aluminum foil enclosure around the speaker but it didn't change anything. Actually I should carry the speaker down the hall with a very long electrical extension plugged at the place where it will eventually be to prove that the speaker is acting as an antenna and the power is not the cause of the noise.

Last edited:
you mean I can't charge my phone on top of the speaker ?
Idk...

I swear this new 5G interferes more than I'm used to...Can hear text message data coming before my phone gets it...same with calls...updates, whatever...
And wireless routers...jeez....
Only some gear seems to get bothered by it all though....
something there is causing that unless it's caps bugging out in an smps power supply and not filtering maybe?

yes I know cell phones interference and this sounds like it except the phone is in the other room. A different brand powered speaker is making the exact same noise.

May not be the source of this specific issue, but power conditioning is never a waste of time.
Except for when it is. Cheap power conditioners are nothing more then a rack mount power strip, monster power were expensive and had a more square wave on the output which would kill smpsu’s. They sold a lot of monster power to the unknowing which created more trouble then what it was worth.
The latest by black lion is a monster copy. Avoid at all costs,

That said conditioners won’t fix rf

Every plug including in the hallway outside are the same, down the hall on the other side of the building no problem
Is the plug outside in the hallway on her circuits? Maybe you can kill breakers to see if it's some kind of power issue...or turn off everything to see if something shows up.
Almost sounds like dirty usb noise even...

Except for when it is. Cheap power conditioners are nothing more then a rack mount power strip, monster power were expensive and had a more square wave on the output which would kill smpsu’s. They sold a lot of monster power to the unknowing which created more trouble then what it was worth.
The latest by black lion is a monster copy. Avoid at all costs,

That said conditioners won’t fix rf
There crummy, overpriced examples of all products . . so?

Thank you guys, yes the noise seems to fade out proportionally to the distance from the corner of the building.I don't know if there is a cell tower but there is definitely a big power pole right outside the window. I did unplug the fridge but the noise was still the same. The speaker makes that noise without anything plugged into it. Would a copper shield be better than aluminum foil ?

Thank you guys, yes the noise seems to fade out proportionally to the distance from the corner of the building.I don't know if there is a cell tower but there is definitely a big power pole right outside the window. I did unplug the fridge but the noise was still the same. The speaker makes that noise without anything plugged into it. Would a copper shield be better than aluminum foil ?
As John Roberts mentioned....what if anything changes if you insert a plug into the monitor's input jack with a shorting wire from pin 2 to 3 (if XLR) or tip to ring (if a 1/4" TRS)?

Also.....do you have a battery powered ANALOG radio that covers the AM radio band (where all the "pundits" argue about politics)? Tune that radio down to the low end of the AM band to find no local stations with the ranters. <G!> Listen to what you hear in terms of odd interference. I discovered all sorts of noise from faulty stuff like an arcing power transformer on the power pole to a defective mercury vapor lamp on the side of the building.

Bri

PS....wish I could figure out how to hear that file in post#1......

Thank you guys, yes the noise seems to fade out proportionally to the distance from the corner of the building.I don't know if there is a cell tower but there is definitely a big power pole right outside the window.
Is there a transformer on it?
Would a copper shield be better than aluminum foil ?
Don't waste your time with shielding.
One thing to investigate is to use an electric guitar with single coil pick-ups, move the guitar till you find a maximum, that will indicate the direction of the source of magnetic interference. Or it may show that magnetic interference is not the source of your problem. Elimination process.

Back