Power issue voltage drop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiroy

Hey Guys I have a question about an issue I may or may not be have with my residential power. I have had the power company test my neutral at the meter and connections. I have tightened all breakers and lugs and most connections  in my house as far as ceiling fans and outlets in 2 out of 4 rooms. What Im having is my lights will slightly dim often through out the day. I have been out of work for 3 months so this may have been doing this for a while but Im just noticing it. I know its normal for this to happen when the A/C kicks on and has always dont this. But I notice it when the A/C does not cut on so my question is this?

1. Is it normal for this to occur when the refrigerator and water heater cut on? Garbage disposal and dishwasher too?

2. What kind out voltage drop should I expect at the light?

3. Would I measure a voltage drop or a amperage drop?

4. Finally the big one. If this is a normal thing does this have a ill effect on all my sensitive recording equipment,keyboard,Vintage Synths,Hammond and Rhodes?

Thankx Guys.

> normal for this to happen when the A/C kicks on
> Is it normal for this to occur when the refrigerator and water heater cut on

Load is load.

Water heater may be a much larger load than the A/C. Both A/C and reefer have heavy starting surges.

And it is possible your *neighbors'* loads wobble your voltage.

Here on my very long wire, the microwave, well-pump, old furnace cause large light-dims.

My voltage monitor shows everything from 125/250V to 109/219V.

_I_ would not worry unless the PC and VCR are re-booting, or incandescent lamps are dying too young.

Skiroy said:
Hey Guys I have a question about an issue I may or may not be have with my residential power. I have had the power company test my neutral at the meter and connections. I have tightened all breakers and lugs and most connections  in my house as far as ceiling fans and outlets in 2 out of 4 rooms. What Im having is my lights will slightly dim often through out the day. I have been out of work for 3 months so this may have been doing this for a while but Im just noticing it. I know its normal for this to happen when the A/C kicks on and has always dont this. But I notice it when the A/C does not cut on so my question is this?

1. Is it normal for this to occur when the refrigerator and water heater cut on? Garbage disposal and dishwasher too?
Voltage drop depends on load/start current and line resistance. A/C is several kVA, fridge and dishwasher are about 1kVA, but garbage disposal is supposed to be just a few hundred VA. That seems to indicate an abnormally high line resistance.
2. What kind out voltage drop should I expect at the light?
Typically the power company guarantee the voltage fluctuates no more than +/-10% at the inlet. That implies two things: that the voltage delivered by the grid is adjusted in response to demand fluctuations and that the power line resistance  is low enough to ensure stability at the user's end.
The resistance of your installation comes in addition.
3. Would I measure a voltage drop or a amperage drop?
You may see a voltage drop.
You would need to figure out if the voltage drop is seen at the power inlet or only at the socket. If the former, that means the problem is the power line resistance. If the latter, your installation may be at cause. But it is not always easy to measure because it's a transient effect. In particular, a DMM would not register the variation, but an analog one would show - but the measurement would not be exact.
It takes specific equipment to properly assess the voltage drop resulting from start current; you would have to ask a professional, or the power company; I'm afraid that would be at your cost, although the power company may not charge you if they were found responsible.
4. Finally the big one. If this is a normal thing does this have a ill effect on all my sensitive recording equipment,keyboard,Vintage Synths,Hammond and Rhodes?
It shouldn't really. I would be more concerned with LED lighting, fluorescent lighting and some motors if the voltage drop was enough to stop them - maybe the Hammond, particularly if it's one with the start switch.

a] Human vision is very sensitive to incandescent light dimming. It only takes a couple of percent voltage drop to be visible.

b] Yes, it's possible for anything with a motor to cause some  dimming.

c] I would say get a 'Kill-a-Watt' meter, but I don't think that spending money is high on your list of things to do.

d] If you are electrician savvy,  arrange two small incandescent bulb with extensions cords next to each other. Connect  one to a circuit that is on one Pole/Leg (aka Phase) of your AC power and the second cord to the other. Then watch to see if one bulb dimes and the other brightens.  Which could indicate a lost Neutral problem.

I plan on buying a power analyzer/recorder because I can get one used for 400.00 where as the only electrician here that has one wants to charge me 250.00 a day to use it.

But what would I expect to see different on the analyzer if I had a short somewhere vs a loose nuetral?

Also I want to buy a Megger to test my romex insulation because I had rats and Im afraid they may have chewed on the wires. So what size megger would I need?

Back