Powering a condenser Mic from 5v with a Converter.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphoniste

Hi there, for sure an old (very old topic) for Most of you…
I am searching an efficient way to use Professional condenser microphones That Need 48v Phantom Power… on items like Tentacle or Deity recorders that are really tiny and use 32bits float…

So far i Found This topic…

https://www.electronicsforu.com/electronics-projects/5v-48v-dc-converter-phantom-power-supplies

Has anyBody been building it, or May be used alternative designs? What about hum, safety, battery Life etc…

Best regards Guillaume

Attachments

• 68A7AEE6-1472-41A7-B143-3B2E12AB3D5F.png
    68A7AEE6-1472-41A7-B143-3B2E12AB3D5F.png
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 1
I don't recall seeing that exact project, but that switching regulator has been used before, it is a mature device known for being relatively easy to implement.

Hum considerations aren't really different than any other device, and is mostly a power line frequency concern. If you are going to use it with battery powered recorders there should not be any hum issue.
According to the article you linked the switcher will be running at around 50kHz, so you may want to make sure that is well filtered so it doesn't cause any
problems for the recorder front end.

The switching controller itself only uses around 4mA, so the currently will be mostly defined by how much current the load uses and the losses in the circuit.

That circuit might be a little overpowered if you want one per microphone, or one per two microphones. The linked article notes it can supply "up to around 50mA" which is enough current for at least 10 microphones. Phantom power could in theory supply up to around 10mA per microphone, but in practice most microphone designs aim for the 2mA to 5mA range.

Latest posts

Back