Pretty VU meters...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk509

Got two of these guys from Hoyt about a year ago, for a project that is no more...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/alk509/Set117_04.jpg

The case is plastic and the scale is not transparent, so the light only shines through the bottom, where all the guts are (which I think looks ridiculously cool!)

They were ~60 bucks each, IIRC.

Peace,
Al.

PS: I know the picture is a piece of shite, but I took it with my PDA's crappy camera, so gimme a break!

I got some crazy old round ones that have this wierd scale that goes to +6. Those hoyts are pretty cool though.

dave

yeah and I went there in person which just absolutely defies description. If the Khe Sahn Combat Base had an electronic surplus bunker in March of 1968, it might have been more organized than leeds and run by a guy slightly less crazy...

dave

As long as next year isn;t another hurricane-fest, you can probably count me in! -Last year I couldn;t because my son was due to be born right round AES... wouldn;t have gone down at all well...

This year I'm skipping the AES in "Sam Franks' Disco"...

Keith

Cool. A lot can happen in a year, but I hope to see you there.

I'm also hoping that the AES Historical Committee puts on something at least half as cool as their "When Vinyl Ruled" display of 2000-2001. At last year's AES, they had an "early digital recording" exhibit which didn't seem to attract nearly as much interest.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Damn, sounds like a road trip to me :wink:[/quote]

Im totally going to khe sahn, Ive been trying to find someone to go, but nobody seems to share my fascination with the history of that hill.

An fieldtrip to Leeds would be an absolute disaster, it was a nightmare with just me and the crazy guy climbing over all the discarded boxes and junk that litters the bays there. Its in a nice size place, if he threw all the trash away, he could probably fit it in his garage...

dave

Is it limited who's allowed to go, or is my money as green as anyone else's?

Money's money as far as they're concerned. There are also usually plenty of passes distributed by manufacturers and retailers, so if you know somebody on that side of the biz you could probably get into the exhibit floor for free. If you want to see any of the seminars, that will cost some $$ though. I usually have 1 or 2 extra passes every show (in NYC) so when the time comes (and if I have 'em), I'll offer them up here.

We should have a Lab night during AES here, preferably someplace that serves a good Guinness! :guinness: :grin:

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I'm also hoping that the AES Historical Committee puts on something at least half as cool as their "When Vinyl Ruled" display of 2000-2001. At last year's AES, they had an "early digital recording" exhibit which didn't seem to attract nearly as much interest.[/quote]

Yeah I agree, but i'm biased. I just moved the lathe that was there along with about 15 others from one location to another. More Neumann lathes in one place than anywhere ever. There is 40 years of accumulated "junk" that needs to be sorted through. There will be lots of bits and pieces of interest to the folks here on ebay in the near future. Lots of cool meters. As a small example I ran across about 30 NOS Melcor/MAP 1731's. lots of transformers for tube DIY. The owner hates to throw anything away but he knows he has to.

Back