Proac Studio 100 - DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey whoops thanks for all the info you put out. my cabinet are almost finished. I made the front plates without a cnc machine. just with 2 layers cutting different sizes of holes :D. the chassis fit perfect. I just don't get the crossover part now without pcb. I don't now if its right now..

Attachments

• 20231026_191524.jpg
    20231026_191524.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231026_191208.jpg
    20231026_191208.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
thank you I appreciate it

If I had the CNC CAD drawings I would post them here,
but those where done by the person running the woodshop place straight into the machine computer.
It was an old guy, and the machine had a very only computer with a screen with green text, kind of a CGA text based graphics and the machine run on floppy disks, it should be one of the first CNC machines that came out many years ago, maybe early 90s. I remember at the time I tried to ask them to save me the drawing on an old floppy disk I had but the problem was that the file was not an universal format it was just a specific ancient format for that specific machine only

legendary thread @Whoops . we just got a pair of the originals at our studio and they're my favorite passive monitors I've heard to the point where I want another pair... diy might be the best option

legendary thread @Whoops . we just got a pair of the originals at our studio and they're my favorite passive monitors I've heard to the point where I want another pair... diy might be the best option

Well mate, it you have an original pair, then cloning it would be quite easy as then you could take the correct measurements for the cabinet and holes for the speakers. If you do, please post the measurements here as I don't seem to have the file of my original complete measurements.
There's nothing hard or exotic in this build, it's easy, it's just work and time evolved.

Other option is to buy an used pair

Last edited:
Well mate, it you have an original pair, then cloning it would be quite easy as then you could take the correct measurements for the cabinet and holes for the speakers. If you do, please post the measurements here as I don't seem to have the file of my original complete measurements.
There's nothing hard or exotic in this build, it's easy, it's just work and time evolved.

Other option is to buy an used pair

That’s the plan — measure and document and post here. I have a local carpenter friend who who runs a guitar speaker cabinet building company as a side gig, so I would have him do the woodwork if I go through with it

Used pairs are a bit more than I want to spend right now, though the set we just got was a fair price.

Love this project, straight-forward 2-way setup in a comfortable size box.
I regularly DIY speakers. I have an analog setup for making cabs (spindle moulder, various routers, table saw). And a digital setup for measuring their performance (SPL, impedance plots).
Building speakers can be most rewarding:cool:

Love this project, straight-forward 2-way setup in a comfortable size box.
I regularly DIY speakers. I have an analog setup for making cabs (spindle moulder, various routers, table saw). And a digital setup for measuring their performance (SPL, impedance plots).
Building speakers can be most rewarding:cool:
I agree, I built some Troels Gravesen speakers and it was a fun experience. Turned out great!

It's rewarding for sure and not that difficult.
My entering into this forum and the audio DIY world came from being poor but wanting to have good tools. I wanted a Neve preamp but has a starving assistance engineer (very underpaid) in a professional studio I would never be able to able an original Neve, so I built one.
I wanted an 1176 compressor, but couldn't afford it, so I build one.

For the ProAc Srudio 100 those were the main speaker that were used in the studio I worked in, so I got used to them and started to love the speaker and depend on them, they were out of my economical reach at the time, so being able to build them for 1/4 of the price gave me a rewarding experience when I was able to have them in my home studio and use them for mixing.

Hey
I'm Yossi, very nice to meet you
amazing!
I'm new here and admit I haven't had time to go through all the comments... so forgive me if the question has been asked:
I want too! haha
How can I purchase (if possible) a set of such speakers from you or just boxes and a crossover?
Yes I was able to read that you did the work with a CNC machine and it looks really faithful to the original. And I also read that you don't have the CAD files, that would have been really cool. If you have a detailed plan of the boxes,
I can contribute to the community my expertise as an architect and produce professional CAD for everyone.
In general, thank you for sharing and for your time
Best regards

Last edited:
If you have a detailed plan of the boxes,

I never had a detailed plan of the boxes, what I did at the time was a really bad handmade sketch with all the exact measurements I took from an original speaker, then the Old School man at the woodshop just input those measurements and drawing directly into the CNC machine computer, it was old equipment, it had a kind of green CGA screen, probably it was one of the first CNC machines for woodshops/factories, something from the late 80s or early 90s... I don't know

Anyway there was never a CAD file for it, and I don't have the measurements or hand sketch any longer.

My advice is, find someone that has an original speaker, take the measurements and draw a CAD file,
it's a pretty basic and simple drawing for someone that knows how to do it.

Last edited:
Back