Pyramids and Rolex

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahib

He he. Just watching a BBC documentary on Pyramids that my wife taped last night. With extras made of locals in accurate ancient egyptian clothes. Camera closes in to one, who is supposed to be cutting a ston with his right hand, and he is indeed wearing a Rolex. Now, I am also a photographer and quite often I spot continuity mistakes in films which are difficult to notice, but how the hell one can miss a thing like this? It is literally in your face.

Your favourites?

Are you trying to say the Egyptians didn't invent the wristwatch?

What about the wristwaterclock? ;D

Continuity and anachronism errors like this are a popular game among fans of MST3K-worthy films, the "so bad they're good" kind.

Seinfeld....every episode.
When they segue between acts (when the "slap bass" is heard), they show the exterior of Seinfeld's NY brick building.
The problem is...that brick building is in Los Angeles because it shows earthquake reinforcement plates.
(Episodes were shot at CBS studios in Sherman Oaks, L.A.)

=FB=

The Rolex came with the guys who brought the movie camera...  ;D

One obvious continuity mistake is any film record of events that occurred before movies were recorded.

I object to bad science fiction where invented science does not seem remotely plausible... I give the classic Star trek series a pass, since they were more like morality plays than science fiction, and at least some of their stuff was good science.. MacGuyver was not as flaky as it could be, but many episodes pushed the envelope of credibility.

JR

The one that I love is in the film 2001, where toward the end when Dave Bowman is in his space suit pulling out Hal's memory modules you see the sleeve of the suit separate from the glove briefly and you can see his arm.

> So how might one make a wristwaterclock, anyway?

He is joking.

In Egypt, water is often scarce, sunshine is abundant.

They used wrist-sundials.

Wrist+sundial.jpg

main_nimrud62497.jpg

Since he wouldn't need two sundials, the other wrist must have held a compass, to know what direction to point the sundial...

I think around that time the Japanese were working on a sundial that floated in a small pool of water with a metallic pointer. A combination compass and sundial, so it would self-orient and always point in the right direction.

Perhaps this is how water was associated with the early wrist watch.

JR

PS: I bet that's patentable... ;D

Latest posts

Back