Q8 Box Almost Done

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwsoundman

Here are a couple pics of a quad eight thing I am building. It is two EQ 333c's and two CA-137 line amps. The wiring is temp so I can use it while I wait to build some proper relay switched bypasses, pad, phantom, etc. As it sits you can fully bypass the pre's or eq's from the front panel. The input trafos are UTC o-8 run backwards. No noise and lots of tonal choices. You can turn the pre all the way down and boost the gain on the eq for some AM-10 sound or turn the eq gain way down and turn the pre up more than normal. Both amp types sound great. Still need to find some bulbs to light the meters.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nwsoundman/id13.html

Ya it's BIG. It took a 5U chassis and a tiny trim off the EQ's to make them fit. I couldn't get used to the idea of putting the eq's on a horizantal plane. The output trafos are the stock QE3442's that are on the CA-137 line amp card. They weigh over a pound. I got the eq's and amps from a bud at Indigo Ranch. The VU's are from Fum and Wilbee. I am unsure if the input trafos will stay UTC O-8's. I know I will never need a 1:10 ratio so maybe some other 1:8 will be cool. I like the vintage tone. The parts were from a film console originally.

NWSM

That looks so awesome. I was going to post last night but the site was acting funny. Nice work.

What's your gain control setup for the line amps?

Don't look too close. I wired this with a bum hand. I couldn't hold anything still. It is all temp wiring anyway.

The gain control is temp also. I am using a 100K linear pot with a 47k resistor across pins 1 and 2 on the pot to make a bad fake of a rev log. It is touchy when you need to turn it up a bunch. For louder sources that isn't a problem. Actually with the output trafo wired in series and the 1:8 input you don't need much gain from the amp. I am still looking for a real rev log pot.

I've got a couple of single pole 12 throw switches I could send you that woudl be reall cool. You could step it in 2 db steps on the card edge connector

Wil

Wilebee

yeper I think you documents have the gain resistors it would work quite nicely . I goud pop them into the mail as I have another package to ship tommorrow

Wil

Back