Question about D-87 build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostlyStudio

Hi all,

Apologies if this question should be added to an existing thread, I didn't see a clean space to do so but will delete this post if not appropriate.

I've ordered some parts to do a D-87 build in my spare time.

Currently on the way are:
  • SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit from Studio 939
  • Couple of TSC-2 capsules from JLI
  • AMI T13 from TFW
  • D-U87M and Switch Boards (Blue) from Vintage Mic PCB Kit
  • The BOM from mouser linked from Vintage Mic PCB Kit

It looks like Vintage Mic PCB Kit doesn't have the Styroflex capacitors in stock at the moment, so going to source some LCR ones from somewhere in the UK. It also looks like some of the parts in the BOM are no longer available. Mainly:

• 2 x RNX02560M0FKLB - Metal Oxide Resistors 60Mohmns 1% 750V 100ppm
  • 1 x 271-560-RC - Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 560ohms 1% 50PPM
  • 1 x TVX1J100MAD - Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Axial Leaded 63volts 10uF 5x12 20%

I don't suppose anyone can recommend suitable alternatives that work fine for this build, or recommend another supplier who has them and will ship to the UK? Am I also missing any components of note?

(Much thanks for any time spent replying to this, I'd be very grateful)

There is no "clean space" for that, but the build thread for this project seems to be here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/neumann-vintage-u87-clone-build-thread.48030

With those parameters, you should be able to find suitable replacements from what Mouser DO have in stock.

60meg -> 56meg, 62meg, 68meg are much more standard values nowadays (E12 series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_series_of_preferred_numbers

Any 560 ohm 1/4 watt or 1/8 watt will do. Hint: sort by price, and tick the "in stock" checkbox :D

Capacitors should be find-able too, but expect to pay a premium for the axial versions that noone else uses nowadays. Alternatively you can grab some normal radial-can versions, and bend the positive leg upwards, parallel to the capacitor's body, and use it as a fake-axial.

So how much should i (and everyone else chipping in to help on the D87 support thread) be billing poctop / Dany for handling the support he should be doing?

There is no "clean space" for that, but the build thread for this project seems to be here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/neumann-vintage-u87-clone-build-thread.48030

With those parameters, you should be able to find suitable replacements from what Mouser DO have in stock.

60meg -> 56meg, 62meg, 68meg are much more standard values nowadays (E12 series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_series_of_preferred_numbers

Any 560 ohm 1/4 watt or 1/8 watt will do. Hint: sort by price, and tick the "in stock" checkbox :D

Capacitors should be find-able too, but expect to pay a premium for the axial versions that noone else uses nowadays. Alternatively you can grab some normal radial-can versions, and bend the positive leg upwards, parallel to the capacitor's body, and use it as a fake-axial.

So how much should i (and everyone else chipping in to help on the D87 support thread) be billing poctop / Dany for handling the support he should be doing?
Great response - “in stock” checkbox will save you heaps of time

Ok, so thinking about the following components as replacements:
  • 2 x VR68000006205JAC00 to replace the RNX02560M0FKLB 60Meg resistors.
    • Its 62Meg instead of 60 with +/- 5% so hopefully that will be close enough...
  • 1 x MFR-25FTE52-560R to replace the 271-560-RC 560 Ohms resistor.
  • 1 x 106TTA063M to replace the TVX1J100MAD 10 uF capacitor.
Changed away from mouser as one of their recommended replacement components requires a minimum of 1000 per order and suspect I don't need that many :)

Will give these a spin and see if they work...

If you're getting your LCRs from hificollective, they also sell the Vishay radial caps.

And I highly recommend the Arienne K87 capsule for this mic.

If you're getting your LCRs from hificollective, they also sell the Vishay radial caps.

And I highly recommend the Arienne K87 capsule for this mic.

Also many thanks, I will check out hificollective!

I noticed that the arienneaudio.com store has been 'updating' / not selling when I was looking for capsules, so went for something that others online had recommended.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back