question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

What's the best way to  slim down files in order to put in the tech documents.

I got a scan of an API 515Q input module 8) of which I would love to put in the tech files but it's a 50 meg pdf.

Big but contact Ethan and ask him. I had a big file and I emailed it to him and he crunched it and posted it.

Intelligent shrinking of PDF's is still a mystery to me.  You'll have to use something like a Yousendit or WeTransfer link to get it to him. 

pucho812 said:
I can't even email something that big

Yes you can  :p, wetransfer.com, or if you have Gmail, it can be uploaded into "Drive" and shared, feature that automatically opens when your attached file
is to big to be sended out.

zayance said:
pucho812 said:
I can't even email something that big

Yes you can  :p, wetransfer.com, or if you have Gmail, it can be uploaded into "Drive" and shared, feature that automatically opens when your attached file
is to big to be sended out.

I was referring to having it as an attachment. but o.k. cool that gives options.

It is a single huge scan of a schematic?
A friend says he can do it in photoshop, but I don't have the $$ for that.  I have used Preview in Leopard successfully to reduce file size by changing file type back and forth, and if you can import it into Microsoft Word, PC or Mac that also has a file reduction selection.  Just select a custom paper size to fit the schemo and paste it in.
I have the same sitch with pamphlets/photographs, where I want to reduce file size but not legibility.  Word has worked well for me recently.
Mike

Photoshop is great at optimizing pics for web resolutions! Very effective!
And it can import PDF files to extract pictures to separate files.
I have it on my work so if you want I can do it for you.
Drop me a PM if interested.
;)

You could try PDFshrink for mac or PDFcompressor for WIN to get filesize down (these routines decrease DPI, so resolution will suffer, but maybe not enough to notice).

pucho812 said:

I got a scan of an API 515Q input module 8) of which I would love to put in the tech files but it's a 50 meg pdf.
Is it one page or several?
If it's several pages, you can open with PDF Architect (freeware), then create one individual pdf file per page.
pdf's are already very compressed, any tentative to reduce their size will result in noticeable quality loss.

One thing that can really increase the size of a PDF is using "best color" (ie, suitable for reproducing a photograph) when it is not needed.  A schematic is a good example, since it can be reproduced as a B&W line drawing, which greatly reduces the file size.  However, I don't know of a way to change (and thus reduce the file size) from "best color photograph" to B&W line drawing of something already scanned

abbey road d enfer said:
pucho812 said:

If it's several pages, you can open with PDF Architect (freeware), then create one individual pdf file per page.
pdf's are already very compressed, any tentative to reduce their size will result in noticeable quality loss.

It was one large page.

pucho812 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
pucho812 said:

It was one large page.
PDF Creator (also freeware) allows you to "print in a file"; it offers some adjustments like final size.

Another, somewhat commonly used technique :) is to compress into a multi part volume, like a 'rar'

PDFs often can shrink quite a bit, depending on the content and multi part capable 'zippers' can make it all pretty easy.

But, many uploaders restrict compressed multi part volumes.
Mind you, many don't :)

Back