Quick Solder Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I ran out of my normal stuff - I usually use Kester "44" Rosin Core Solder - and had to run to the Circuit City (Radio Shack).  All they had was "High-Tech Rosin Core Silver Bearing Solder.  What's this stuff about silver bearing?  Is it a bad or good thing?  Should I be worried about cold solder joints on any and all projects I use this on?  It's not lead free, so.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sig

You really want plain tin/lead solder.

The stuff RS used to sell was fine, though with upheavals in the solder racket maybe they've changed.

I strongly suspect that RS's "Silver bearing" solder is like one gram silver per ton lead. Hell, there's always trace silver in commercial lead. Maybe they really put enough in to add "shine".

> worried about cold solder joints

Never "worry". Always inspect! Is the blob smooth like pudding or lumpy like oatmeal? Is the blob "wetting" both parts, or beading-up like rain on a well-waxed car? Do a trial joint, then yank it to destruction: is it barely-stuck or really-stuck?

Latest posts

Back