Radial Workhorse Summing Mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just installed workhorse summing expansion I notice that there are quite a few JRC4580Ds in there.
There are 4 cards and a main card the one you see pictured.

The 4 other cards  use  2x NE5532 per card the main card has 2x NE5532s I have an understand of there purpose I am assuming that 1 JRC4580 is used for the headphone amp but what is the purpose of the other 5.

Can anyone tell me if they share the same signal path as the NE553x's if they do can they be replaced with NE5532s

Here is the manual, The block diagram is on page 18. http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/wh-usersguide.pdf

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 119
the summing amp is not the place where you want to change op amps without knowing exactly why they are there.  the use of an op amp with jfet input or bjt input trancistors have a great impact in the noise of the system and which one to choose depend of the design. not easy without an schematic.

you could have a perfectly fine summing amp with a TL072 that will not work better with a NE5532/4 just an example.

If you have a dual opamp you like better than what Radial used, they should work fine. With the usual warnings about warranties being voided and the rest.No guarantees though. MC33078 would be OK as well.

All the ICs are the normal pinout with Pin 8+ and pin 4-. However I have had some issues with some of the National(TI) LHC series chips in some circuits.

Latest posts

Back