Railroad crossings in a residential area

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

Anyone familiar with RR rules and regs?  I live on a moderately busy residential street with a RR crossing approx one block East.  It's some sort of "spur" with very low traffic....used a few times a week to move a few cars.  This crossing has no lights or gates.

Recently I've noticed UP pushing a few (6 to 10) cars backwards through that crossing, so no horn blasts or bells.  Tonight I saw a near disaster as a pickup truck going at a moderate/safe speed had to emergency "screech" brake as it was going to cross the tracks as a dark black tanker car (one of six) was being pushed backwards through the crossing.  No lights or anything on the back of the tanker.

Some brief web searches indicates there is supposed to be an employee with a radio walking behind the train as it goes in reverse.  I didn't find a "how is my driving? 1-800 phone number" to report this at UP.com.

It could be a calamity if a vehicle hit/derailed a tanker(s) carrying dangerous chemicals on this residential street with houses near  the tracks..

And to think that a few weeks ago I was SO impressed by UP as I marveled at their restored Big Boy steam locomotive when it appeared on the east/west "main line" here in town.....

Bri

I have a pretty high traffic crossing a few hundred yards from my house. As usual for small town crossings (on a major road) lights but no physical gate. The train will often blow the very loud horns when approaching.
====
I suspect there is some agency with oversight but perhaps report the near accident to the RR itself. They should be motivated to avoid accidents. Maybe even local police would know who to call to report failure to protect street traffic.

JR

I dont know about rules and regs, but be glad you dont live near busy crossings.... I live within earshot of at least 5 crossings, the freight trains at night can be terrible...  The city actually put in "silent crossings" because residents complained so much, but it turns out that "silent" isnt what it was cracked up to be.  Now blowing the whistle is not mandatory, but is up to the discretion of the conductor.... some nights are quiet some, not so much. 

A friend of mine who was with me as we were standing outside and witnessed the STUPID UP train pushing several tank cars backwards (no horns, no lights, no safety), and he  sent an email "nastygram" to UP.  They replied to him with a "we are very serious about safety" .

Hmmmmm....we shall see.  If you hear about a major derailment/chemical spill in Salina, KS....you know what happened.

Bri

Back