Ralph Peters calls Obama 'a ...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticks and stones....

Obama doesn't get much respect from the military for his sundry military policy decisions.

While the ex-military can say what they think. At least one war zone general (McChrystal) was fired for being a little too honest about what he felt with a rolling stone reporter.

Army generals have to be masterful politicians on the job when dealing with Washington.  After they retire they no longer have to self-edit their comments.

Sun Tzu had it right (thousands of years ago). Politics should be kept out of waging war. Tell the generals what you want and leave them alone to do it. Political micro-mamanagement is a recipe for failure.   

JR

Wow - I'm pretty tuned out from the right wing media, but when I see stuff like this it blows my mind. I can't believe people tolerate this kind of fanatical ranting, but even applaud it.
The diversification of media has sure allowed  the yelling idiots to have an audience.

dmp said:
Wow - I'm pretty tuned out from the right wing media, but when I see stuff like this it blows my mind. I can't believe people tolerate this kind of fanatical ranting, but even applaud it.
The diversification of media has sure allowed  the yelling idiots to have an audience.
It is easy to be disappointed with all media.

Attacks from both sides have been with us forever.

As I already suggested Obama's policy has angered many in the military and Lt Col Ralph Peters (retired) lost his temper after watching the sunday night speech. FWIW he was suspended for two weeks by Fox news (for using profanity not the sentiment).  I didn't see his outbreak and haven't watched the video. I didn't watch the speech either.

I wonder if all the media sources comparing Trump to Adolph Hitler review their own behavior. (Daily news, Times of israel, etc... Even a republican candidate used the Hitler theme in an ad John Kasich) probably a desperate grasp for attention.

Then there is rapper "Rick Ross" reportedly calling for Trump's assassination.

This is all ugly politics but mostly protected speech (I don't know about inciting assassination being protected, but the ugly name calling is).  Calling Obama or Trump names or making indelicate comparisons is just evidence of how nasty and personal hard-ball politics is.

Caution...  political campaigns are not a safe space... the mudslinging ads haven't really started in earnest yet (wait till next year), while Jeb seems to be burning through some piles of ad cash already just to get/stay on the stage.  Nobody is getting as much free publicity as Trump (and Obama), but I don't think Obama is running or shouldn't be.

While just about everybody is running against his policy/record even Hillary took a few shots. This is also  politics as usual. 

JR

PS: I don't think Trump is very good for American politics,,, even though he is apparently saying what a lot of people are thinking. Some things don't need to be stirred up (IMO). It distracts us from debating/resolving the real issues.  Trump is just working the crowd like a TV personality and sucking all the oxygen from the room to starve the other less exciting candidates. Attacking him publicly often ends poorly for the other candidates, even if they were right.  ;D

I don't know about militarily, but economically I think Obama is a bad ass.

"In January 2009, when President Obama took office, the U.S. economy was hemorrhaging 800,000 jobs a month. The unemployment rate continued to rise during Obama’s tumultuous first year, peaking at 10 percent that October.

That feels like a long time ago. Today’s jobs report showed that the economy added 280,000 jobs in May, a record 63rd straight month of employment growth. The private sector has added 12.6 million jobs during that stretch, and unemployment is now 5.5 percent. Meanwhile, the housing market has bounced back, inflation has remained low, and the federal budget deficit has steadily decreased."

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2015/06/history-is-going-to-say-he-saved-us-from-a-second-great-depression-000073

I know most people here aren't fond of Obama but I have a feeling his legacy is going to be a good one. :p

bluebird said:
I know most people here aren't fond of Obama but I have a feeling his legacy is going to be a good one. :p

I think Obama is the best president we've had in my lifetime. Born 1967. If not for Viet Nam I would say Johnson because of civil rights.

bluebird said:
I don't know about militarily, but economically I think Obama is a bad ass.
I think Obama is a bad ass.  or I think Obama is a bad ass. (sorry couldn't pass up the easy joke. I mean no disrespect.  )
"In January 2009, when President Obama took office, the U.S. economy was hemorrhaging 800,000 jobs a month. The unemployment rate continued to rise during Obama’s tumultuous first year, peaking at 10 percent that October.

Indeed it was a historic economic contraction.
That feels like a long time ago.
in fact it was a long time ago in terms of economic cycles. Most recoveries after recessions (negative GDP growth) are sharper and return to previous long term GDP growth trends.  Our annual GDP growth right now is around 2% .

It can be hard to interpret the charts but
united-states-gdp-growth-annual.png
shows GDP growth before and after the economic contraction.

It is also fair to note that Obama inherited this economy, but in my judgement he is at least partially responsible for the current state of the economy (that politico feels is worth taking credit for)  :eek:,  I give him a partial (not complete) pass regarding the blame for weak current GDP growth.   
Today’s jobs report showed that the economy added 280,000 jobs in May, a record 63rd straight month of employment growth. The private sector has added 12.6 million jobs during that stretch, and unemployment is now 5.5 percent.
yes, the supply of workers willing to fill job openings is tightening up.. This should finally put some upward pressure on wages, that have been chronically low and stagnant for years.  The slow wage growth has hurt the FEDs ability to hit inflation targets.  Some economist predict that workers who dropped out of the workforce (causing the low unemployment numbers) may return to the workforce as wages rise.

Another interesting data set about employment is
Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2000.gif

Be careful interpreting this graph. The part time and full time indexes use different scales. The trend lines for both are starting to move in the right direction (full time increasing-part time dropping, but the shift from full time to part time is very apparent. Most likely driven as an unintended consequence of the ACA .  Another employment trend not in the data is the "gig economy" how many young people are Uber drivers (something like 150,000 active drivers in the US and they can earn as much as $30/hr in some cities). But these are hard to classify as even part time workers.  The "gig" employment model is likely to spread into other work areas.
Meanwhile, the housing market has bounced back,
according to reality trac    http://www.realtytrac.com/news/realtytrac-reports/q3-2015-u-s-underwater-home-equity-report/

IRVINE, Calif. — Oct. 22 , 2015 — RealtyTrac® (www.realtytrac.com), the nation’s leading source for comprehensive housing data, today released its Q3 2015 U.S. Home Equity & Underwater Report, which shows that as of the end of the third quarter there were 6,917,673 U.S. residential properties that were seriously underwater — where the combined loan amount secured by the property is at least 25 percent higher than the property’s estimated market value — representing 12.7 percent of all properties with a mortgage.
inflation has remained low,
In fact the inflation rate being low is not a good thing, The central bankers fearing deflation have persisted with accommodative fiscal policy. The unprecedented 0% interbank rate for all these years is just now expected to rise from 0% (this month). Experts disagree about how the economy will react but the move has been  telegraphed to the market so won't be a surprise, but many younger people never experienced high normal interest rates.  My house mortgage loan was something like 14%. I expect some volatility in the economy when interest rates start rising.
and the federal budget deficit has steadily decreased."
This is probably a result of republican spending constraint, like the budget sequestration. Ironic to hear the democrats try to take credit for that.  Don't confuse deficit (annual budget shortfall) with public debt that is $18T and still increasing. 

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2015/06/history-is-going-to-say-he-saved-us-from-a-second-great-depression-000073
Not exactly my go-to source for economic news.
It is far too soon to gauge the legacy of any still living presidents. You could be right, I won't argue the hypothetical.  In my judgement he won't win any points for the economy either.

JR

kambo said:
wooooooo,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfzSlldIUHQ

Never heard of him, but I checked two other videos on youtube, and it seems to be the way the guy talks about people he disagrees with, so not sure why its worthy of a post.

Im thinking alzheimers...

Gustav

Gustav said:
kambo said:
wooooooo,

Never heard of him, but I checked two other videos on youtube, and it seems to be the way the guy talks about people he disagrees with, so not sure why its worthy of a post.

Gustav

watching someone calling  President of United States of America a p***y on a national TV was
interesting enough for me to post it...  shall i get it removed for you  :p

There is a lot of noise  and it is hard to see the forest from the trees - time will tell how Obama's success is seen. But certainly all things point to success, IMO.
I feel his leadership is putting the country back on track economically as well as with Foreign Policy. The "Texan Swagger" and war mongering of the last administration did a great disservice to the character of this Country,  IMO. And those behaviors and policies had subtle negative  consequences we are still feeling today.
There is much more needed for the economy, however, and the President has not been able to implement nearly enough due to the opposition of the Republican majority. (They declared their No1 priority to be creating the failure - or appearance of failure - of this Democratic President). Policy could address root causes of economic downturns (illadvised deregulation of the financial sector, lack of wage growth while productivity climbs, increasing wealth gap, etc...)
The debt is high enough that economists say it can negatively affect GDP. Looking at the debt historically, you will see which Presidents changed the trajectory. Most noticeably when Bush inherited a strong economy and a budget that finally wasn't in the red, and he immediately put it in the red again. The Republican party has had a long time strategy to bankrupt the country under the misguided notion it would shrink government (the famous "starve the beast" strategy.) Unfortunately, when the GDP is in charge, they just cuts taxes while doing little to nothing to cut spending.
But back to the topic at hand -  what has changed most noticeably these days is the incivility of dialog. I wonder if this traces back to the right wing talk radio (Rush Limbaugh, etc), the conservative popularity of non-compromising, tough talking, anti PC sentiments? There certainly is an affection for this kind of incivility in the Republican primaries. Not so much in the Democrats at all - but now we are seeing some "fight fire with fire" in Congress. Too bad. 

kambo said:
Gustav said:
kambo said:
wooooooo,

Gustav

watching someone calling  President of United States of America a p***y on a national TV was
interesting enough for me to post it...  shall i get it removed for you  :p

No need to get anything removed for me, I was merely sharing the impressions that it seems to be the way he usually talks, looking for the angle on this particular incidence, and expressing a concern for his health. I assure you, I did not intend it as a complaint about your posting. 

Gustav

Here is debt as a percentage of GDP by President...
What a different  place we could be in if not for the election of GW Bush.

Attachments

• US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President_(1940_to_2014).png
    US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President_(1940_to_2014).png
    27.7 KB
Gustav said:
No need to get anything removed for me, I was merely sharing the impressions that it seems to be the way he usually talks, looking for the angle on this particular incidence, and expressing a concern for his health. I assure you, I did not intend it as a complaint about your posting. 

Gustav

i know, i was just jooking  ;)

1+ to dmp

Gustav said:
kambo said:
wooooooo,

Gustav
He was trying to be emotive for TV but used inappropriate language.

He was benched for a couple weeks by Fox instead of getting rewarded with more gigs. These same guys pop up on several different Fox shows if they are popular. and get paid per show AFAIK.

I have seen him on TV plenty of times and that was not normal TV language for him.. maybe he is more earthy on youtube.

JR

dmp said:
Unless I'm ready your graphic wrong, under Bush the debt was <70% of GDP, now Under Obama it is over 100% of GDP. The last time it was over 100% was during WWII.

JR

Politics has always been bare knuckles.

I find it remarkable that people can look at the same data (or world events) and draw diametrically opposed conclusions, but that is the nature of the human condition...

Who knows maybe I'm wrong.... I thought I was wrong once.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
dmp said:
Unless I'm ready your graphic wrong, under Bush the debt was <70% of GDP, now Under Obama it is over 100% of GDP. The last time it was over 100% was during WWII.

JR

you are reading it the way u wanna read it... dmo is saying

dmp said:

JohnRoberts said:
Who knows maybe I'm wrong.... I thought I was wrong once.  8)

JR

edit :

excuse my French, but, when comes to politics u are usually wrong  :p
u are mixing apples with current draw from 12AX7 tube  ;D ;D ;D ;D

this is exactly what i meant  ;)

dmp said:
You are making a "true" observation, but perhaps not thinking it through.

The economy is like a large ship that doesn't turn quickly. Well, it can be turned quickly by running into things  - to use a metaphor. Improvement happens more slowly. How has the slope changed under Reagan, Clinton, Bush, and Obama? What policy decisions would have led to these changes in slope?

dmp said:
I've been thinking over under around and through our budget and national debt for years.. I have written extensively right here on the subject, The chart you posted is self explanatory, the increase in spending under the current administration is unsustainable. In fact he wanted to spend even more and was denied.

I have been critical of both republicans and democrats for needless spending, waste and fraud. Government spending displaces private economy activity that is far more efficient and productive.  So the larger the government gets the weaker the private sector is.
The economy is like a large ship that doesn't turn quickly. Well, it can be turned quickly by running into things  - to use a metaphor. Improvement happens more slowly. How has the slope changed under Reagan, Clinton, Bush, and Obama? What policy decisions would have led to these changes in slope?
The ship turned pretty damn fast when the credit/housing bubble collapsed in 2007-2008. We came way too close to complete economic system collapse and were dragged back from the precipice at the last minute (actually after letting Lehman go off the cliff first), There are still economic distortions overshadowing the economy (like 0% interbank rates) all these years later that still need to be unwound. Hopefully the interbank rate increase scheduled for this month will be a step toward restoring normalcy. The world has never experienced an economic experiment of this magnitude so keep your fingers crossed that they can unwind this grand experiment without more unintended consequences. When the tide of easy money goes out we will see who is wearing swim trunks, and who isn't.
=======
The only hopeful (political) trend I see for the future is the tea party conservatives who walk the talk of fiscal responsibility. Regrettably they don't have enough critical mass (yet) to dominate the old crony republicans and crony democrats who still feel compelled to bring home the pork.  I expect it will take another half dozen election cycles to clean out more dead wood and get the congress fully responsible.

I am pleased with Paul Ryan the new speaker of the house, so far... I suspect he put his presidential ambitions on hold to serve his country, and the house seems to be working better for it. I appreciate him for that. I wouldn't mind some similar new blood in the senate leadership and that white house over on Pennsylvania avenue.  8)

Economics is called the "dismal science" because there is so much focus on what can go wrong...  I try to be optimistic, but it can be hard.  Trump is running a three ring political circus, with almost everybody jumping through his hoops without realizing why (he can't possibly be that clever, lucky I guess). 

JR

Back