RAMSA WR-S840

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo-666

Hello

Who can say a word about WR-S840 board ?
The only thing I know is that it was a FOH monitor board.
How does the pres sound ?
Overall sound, is it clean or gritty, maybe lo-fi ?
Is it necessary to mod this console with new opamps ?
What approach to take regarding mods ?

Regards...

leo-666 said:
Hello

Who can say a word about WR-S840 board ?
The only thing I know is that it was a FOH monitor board.
How does the pres sound ?
Overall sound, is it clean or gritty, maybe lo-fi ?
Is it necessary to mod this console with new opamps ?
What approach to take regarding mods ?

I've mixed on these things a ton back in the day, and honestly, who the hell knows how a preamp in a 40-input console sounds when you're listening to it through a channel strip and the mix buses and on out to a pile of PA boxes that were copies of the ShowCo Prism?

Last time I saw one was nearly 15 years ago, and I was using it for monitors, and like everyone else, I forgot to turn the group inserts on so the inserted EQs did something. Of course you could flip the "ON" buttons around so they'd say "NO," which everyone did.

Anyway, they sounded just like any other large-frame live console from the 80s.  Lemme put it this way: everyone thought the PM-3000 was better, and nobody really liked how the PM-3000 sounded. (The PM-4K is, of course, significantly better.)

-a

Some years ago I did a large mixing console shoot out with app. 20 desks. While the WR-S840´s pres and summing didn´t sound very HiFi or clean it was very easy to get a decent sounding mix in no time together. The EQ seems to be very musical. Other, more modern desks were way more resistive to fast and decent results.
I did a thread about this happening over at Gearslutz: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/722149-console-sound-real-deal.html

Back