Soundcraft Sapphyre maintenance and repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Eg

Hello everyone

I’ve bought a Soundcraft Sapphyre with 24 I/O modules and 3 Dual Stereo Input modules.

I’ve done some basic maintenance - cleaning and deoxidization. The power supply has been checked by an expert. All caps are intact and all boards have been cleaned with isopropyl alchohol.

I’m new to electronics and don’t have a lot of experience with troubleshooting.

Some of the switches are still a bit noisy but overall the console is working fine. There is one problem though:

When the mixer is turned on seven of the modules have their monitor path cut switch LED turned on. If the solo button is pressed it’s possible to toggle the switch on six out of the seven modules. After some time all the switches fade out and after 10 minutes all LEDs have turned off.

The LED of the AFL button on Aux 5 on the master module is constantly on. This doesn’t fade out.

What would your advice be? Is it possible that recapping will help?

Could it be a problem with the logic system? And where can I find info on troubleshooting this?

Any advice will be of great help!

Thank you in advance!

Best regards
Thomas

Hello everyone

I’ve bought a Soundcraft Sapphyre with 24 I/O modules and 3 Dual Stereo Input modules.

I’ve done some basic maintenance - cleaning and deoxidization. The power supply has been checked by an expert. All caps are intact and all boards have been cleaned with isopropyl alchohol.

I’m new to electronics and don’t have a lot of experience with troubleshooting.

Some of the switches are still a bit noisy but overall the console is working fine. There is one problem though:

When the mixer is turned on seven of the modules have their monitor path cut switch LED turned on. If the solo button is pressed it’s possible to toggle the switch on six out of the seven modules. After some time all the switches fade out and after 10 minutes all LEDs have turned off.

The LED of the AFL button on Aux 5 on the master module is constantly on. This doesn’t fade out.

What would your advice be? Is it possible that recapping will help?

Could it be a problem with the logic system? And where can I find info on troubleshooting this?

Any advice will be of great help!

Thank you in advance!

Best regards
Thomas
A few questions:
1) When the board powers up, is it just the LED that's turned on on the affected channel, or is the function also engaged? Put another way, is the monitor path on those channels cut, and then turns on after ten minutes?
2) Same question about Aux 5...is the LED latched on, or is that channel stuck in AFL? If it is, you should see a "PFL/AFL active" LED on somewhere in the master section, usually in the Monitor area. If the channel is latched in AFL then no other audio should pass through to the monitors unless you engage a PFL/AFL button on the channel you are trying to listen to.
3) IF the above is the case, your first area of investigation must be the Aux master module.
4) The first order of business is to really exercise the switches in question, even if they have been cleaned already. Remember "Beware the switch you never use!" While this may not be the case with an AFL switch, most switches in the audio path also carry the signal in the "Out" position. For example, with an "EQ In" switch, the audio is passing through the upper set of contacts when the EQ is not in.

Back