Ratio control in soft knee compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty2

What exactly is the function of the ratio control when the sidechain has a "soft knee" characteristic? Is it even needed?

Paul

what he said :green:

Knee refers to the way the compressor reacts when the input level reaches the threshold. A hard-knee compressor brings in all the gain reduction as soon as the signal crosses the threshold (provided that a fast attack time is used) and so controls levels very assertively. A soft knee on the other hand brings in the compression more progressively by gradually increasing the compression ratio as the signal level approaches the threshold.
As a rule, hard-knee compressors provide the tightest control while soft-knee compressors provide the most transparent sound.

Ratio refers to the how much the volume will be reduced. A ratio of 2:1 means that the part of the wave that crosses the threshold will have thier volume reduced by a factor of two. A ratio of 5:1 means that these peaks will have their volume reduced by a factor of five.

Hard knee or soft still have to have ratio control how much volume reduction.

> by-passes the ratio control in soft knee. Does that mean he has chosen a fixed slope

If the knee is very soft, where do you measure the slope?

Some soft-knee are fixed-slope with a very small roundy-part at the knee.

Others just get stiffer and stiffer the harder you push them. At 2dB maybe 1.5:1, at 6dB maybe 2:1, 10dB 4:1, 16dB 8:1, 25dB 20:1.

One reason the old tube limiters are not allowed to die is that they (can) have a very natural soft knee. The ratio depends how hard you push them.

[quote author="PRR"]>
Others just get stiffer and stiffer the harder you push them. At 2dB maybe 1.5:1, at 6dB maybe 2:1, 10dB 4:1, 16dB 8:1, 25dB 20:1.
[/quote]

Would that just be a log ratio rather than linear ratio?

Ah, so changing the ratio doesn't alter the slope; it sets an initial ratio which increases as input level does.

I am currently using a transistor junction to generate my curve, though I see there is plenty of room to experiment with different "knee generators".

Latest posts

Back