Rca bakelite knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepdark

Hi there

I'm searching for those kinds of knobs. I know don-audio has them but i would like to know if someone know if there is an actual manufacturer who made these kinds of knobs. I tried with davies molded but they gave not them in their catalogue.

Thanks

Here is the don-audio link of the knobs I'm looking for.

https://www.don-audio.com/Bakelite-Knob-Fester-Vintage-RCA-black

Not bakelite, but...  cheap, and they're 1/4" shaft.  I bought some, they're ok, wish they had small ones too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-RCA-Viz-Copy-Skirted-Vintage-Look-Knob-1-4-Shaft-Set-Screw-Amplifier-Black-/130806516730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e74ad0bfa

I have some of the ebay ones in 3 colours, if you wanna see them, how many do you need? I bought quite a few for my eztube mixer but i changed my mind and don't use them. I saw the sato ones at some electronic mall in tokyo, they may just have a little better finish but they looked the same as the ebay ones to me. I'm pretty sure they all use the same mold...

Regards,

Pierre

The original bakelite knobs have markings that say either RCA or VIZ in a small circle on the back.  VIZ seems to be much more common.  The don-audio link says "These knobs look similar to vintage RCA console or NOS bakelite knobs." - which means they are cheap plastic copies.

Hi Deepdark,

first of all i would like to thank you for your interest on our Fester Bakelite knob line. We research worldwide nice looking quality knob manufacturers and yes Sato Parts is one of them we work together with for a very long time to also offer these knobs in Europe and variouse custom versions as the exclusive Don-Audio 1/4 shaft version of this nice looking knob collection.

I also saw/read the message of mjrippe which states some wrong facts:

mjrippe said:
The original bakelite knobs have markings that say either RCA or VIZ in a small circle on the back... link says "These knobs look similar to vintage RCA console or NOS bakelite knobs." - which means they are cheap plastic copies.

NOS stays for "New old Stock" (often to find in Surplus stores) which has nothing to do with bakelite material nor is it a declaration for a type of any material.

Also RCA has nothing to do with bakelite. RCA was a brand which made audio consoles but in fact they used quality bakelite knobs on their consoles which had a very similar shape. This is the reason i called them RCA style knobs but it is NOT a trademark, declaration or insign for bakelite knobs. 

Bakelite or Phenol is  also not plastic mjrippe. You can find on most every product page the specific material declaration on Don-Audio and when there is stated Phenol or Bakelite then the knob is a bakelite knob like the whole Fester line which is an absolute amazing Japan quality.

The difference between plastic and bakelite is very well explained here:
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelit

I also saw here a message the chinese would use the same mold ;) No, definitely not. I compared the chinese and our Fester knobs and the chinese knobs have a different shape and the chinese ones are made of plastic and have only one very ruff placed screw and not such a nice glossy finish like our bakelite knobs.

If you have any questions to our product range, you are welcome to send a message or email. Also for big qty orders we can make a special price for our custom 1/4 inch Fester knobs as we are official Europe supplier partner from Sato.

I hope i could clarify some points that moved in completely wrong directions here...

Best wishes
Don
from Don-Audio

who said:
RCA was a brand which made audio consoles but in fact they used quality bakelite knobs on their consoles which had a very similar shape. This is the reason i called them RCA style knobs but it is NOT a trademark, declaration or insign for bakelite knobs. 

Best wishes
Don
from Don-Audio

It should be pointed out that the knob style in question was created by industrial designer John Vassos for RCA broadcast equipment in the 1930's, during which time he worked for RCA.  This is well documented in RCA Broadcast News magazine from the time, and in the more recent John Vassos biography. 

first of all i would like to thank you for your interest on our Fester Bakelite knob line.

Now I would like to know where you get 'Fester' from, and why all current dealers of reproduction knobs in this style are being called 'Fester' knobs. This is not a term I have ever encountered, and these are indeed RCA designed knobs, as I mentioned above. There is no specualtion about this, it is well documented established fact. So....where on earth has anyone ever called these 'Fester knobs'? Your post above (2015) is, so far, the oldest use of that name I've found in a search. I see "Fester' translates from German to English as 'tighter'.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/rca-knobs-called-‘fester’.81350/#post-1048667

Last edited:
Back