Re-Capping Altec 1567a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templemark

Hello.

I am in the process of recapping my Altec 1567a to hopefully remove some of the noise.

I replaced which I think are the main signal path Caps with Orange Drops and MojoTone. (See attached) This cleaned things up somewhat, but still noticing noise.  (The noise is somewhat non-linear. It comes and goes unevenly at various input/output gain settings and can vary from buzzing to more white noise-ish.)

Should I go after any other caps also? EQ circuit? Power Supply?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Altec_ReCap1.jpg
    Altec_ReCap1.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 26
This is generally not a cap problem.  If you are doing caps, you should do PSU for sure. 

Some amount of noise is expected given 97dB gain.  You are probably hearing a combination of tube noise with carbon resistor noise. 

emrr said:
This is generally not a cap problem.  If you are doing caps, you should do PSU for sure. 

Some amount of noise is expected given 97dB gain.  You are probably hearing a combination of tube noise with carbon resistor noise.

Ok thanks I will try the Power Supply Caps next. (more important before or after the ceramic caps on the EQ?)

This noise is still pretty loud at around 40-60 db range.  I can try different tubes to see if that is part of the problem too. Its around 10x more noise than my LA-610mkii tube pre.

Latest posts

Back