Reading resistor color codes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Hi all,

So I know how to read resistor color codes -- that's not my question. My problem is that I'm color blind, and have a really hard time, especially with those light blue metal-film resistors, seeing between blacks, browns, and reds. And then also, sometimes the greens are almost browns.

Spoiled getting Mouser orders in where parts come in labelled bags. Then you can just verify w/ a meter that they're right.

But I just got a parts kit from ptown, and I need to sort about 50 or 60 of these and doing it solely with the meter is not fun!

Any pointers??

Wow, that's a real PITA.  My color perception is pretty good, and I have a hard time with modern metal film colors.  I don't think they really assume people will use eyeballs on this stuff anymore.  It's easier to read a burnt and dirty 60 year old carbon job than a new Xicon out of a Mouser bag.  So, sorry, sympathy but no real answer. 

To be honest I've refused to learn the color codes up to now. Considering the amount of resistors I stuff each weak this might be unique :p. I keep my resistor drawers nice and tide, and check with a meter once in a while, which works very well. Troubleshooting unknown equipment is more challenging.

If you can accept the extra expense get a decent resistor resistor set. Re-order in larger quantities (50x), so sorting should not cause too much grief.

Samuel

Like Sam said, I would invest in some plastic drawers and label them.  I got my Drawers at Sears Hardware.
It's more expensive, but you could also use Halco and Dale/Vishay resistors that have the values written on them.

ebay is your friend in this regard

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4W-Metal-Film-Resistor-Kit-1-1R-10MR-1000pc-ROHS_W0QQitemZ290359796070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439acae166#ht_1601wt_1166

stop at your local harbor freight to get the drawers.

/R

guavatone said:
Like Sam said, I would invest in some plastic drawers and label them.  I got my Drawers at Sears Hardware.
It's more expensive, but you could also use Halco and Dale/Vishay resistors that have the values written on them.

+1 for the halco. Actually it's holco. but whatever they rock.

If you need to use a meter then it's nice to make it as quick & easy as possible.

Stuff like this makes life easier:

HP16047C.jpg

Having an RCL-meter powered up & with some kind of adapter nearby
gives you the possibility to check components 'just in case', pre-soldering, and is done is a second.

You won't do that with testleads.

Using this one a lot:

pm9542A.jpg

(together with an adapter like the HP above)

Bye,

Peter

I end up using the lighted magnifier a lot when I need to figure out resistor values - those modern resistors are pretty small!  Helps to tell the blues from the greens.

Hey thanks guys!

I think I need something like the HP adaptor pictured for my meter, gonna make something. GREAT idea! Easier checking. Also, I did have a bunch of those light brown Vishay's around, forgot about that. Need to stock up on those!!

Sorry dude, I know the resistors are a pita, but we should be testing each before inserting anyway...

I'm making myself something like that HP thinger, couple magnets and I'm set!

Totally agree with a few here

the red/brn/org  against the light blue is tough to see sometimes
so i end up using a magnifeing glass , and it's not you
depending on the light and how you move it around it can become
much more clear what the color is .
Labeled drawers help because checking everyone can add allot of time to
a project , i usually do one out of the bin or baggie to make sure it is what i want
unless i feel the need to have matched ones

yeah the old days of 5% against beige , almost didn't to look at em
i feel your pain brother

riggler said:
Hey thanks guys!

I think I need something like the HP adaptor pictured for my meter, gonna make something. GREAT idea! Easier checking.

I just realized that my own modest-but-fine LCR meter has 'direct access' already built in,
see the slits above the test-lead connectors:

A003740.jpg

There'll be more DMM-type of meters having this I assume.

Bye,

Peter

Reminds me of a wiring grunt I had.  He hated Canare multipair because it was all gray to him.  He actually learned the grey-scale so well that he would catch others' mistakes with Canare's bogus orange stripes.

I think that you can rig something from the hardware store that allows you a quick slam of two leads down to get a reading.  What about two large bolt heads on a board that connect to a meter?  Your body capacitance will not affect the reading enough to matter, unless you are working in the > 1M range a lot.

It is always a challenge like this that innovates new products.  Make your world easier.  Go for it!
Mike

Back