rebuilt capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Gus"]
I guess we would need to find out what brand and type of PET Neumann and AKG use/used.
[/quote]

That might be very tough to find out the specifics of.

[quote author="Gus"]
Would your points 1,2 and 3 be less of a "problem" with more modern tech?
[/quote]

I'm not sure if I understand the question 100%. The process parameters of the polymer have probably been tweaked over the years to be stronger, cheaper, and longer lasting. Whether or not this adversely affects the sound of a mic membrane is anyone's guess. The steel used on the Titanic was reported to be crap by modern standards and likely contributed to the ship's sinking. It might have be a better material for making resonator guitars though.

[quote author="Gus"]
Point 4 I think the Dupont stuff has two grain directions W and L
[/quote]

Yes. This is a result of the extrusion process. Blown films are made by pulling molten polymer over a hoop with air blowing through it. Think of the polymer as a big bunch of spaghetti. Some of the spaghetti strands line up in the direction that is being pulled, and some of it lines up in a tangential direction to the hoop, since the hoop is pulling the film open at the same time. To further the spaghetti model, PET is semi crystalline, so you can picture some uncooked spaghetti in the mix too. The "uncooked spaghetti" will tend to cluster and orient to the hoop and extrusion stresses too.

[quote author="Gus"]
I believe good capsules are heat treated at 80C to relax the grain 80c is Tg for PET I believe. Whats corona and flame treatment? point 5
[/quote]

That makes sense to me. I'd imagine since the skins are mounted with equal tension at the "lugs", you would want a material that responds the same in each direction. Imagine a sheet of woven glass, like that used in fiber-glass boats. There are two directions that the sheet will not stretch, each along the length of the glass fibers. But if the sheet is rotated 45 degrees, it will give fairly easily.

Regarding corona treatment and flame treatment, these are both oxidation steps done to change the surface chemistry of the films for coating reception. Just another source of variability in PET grades.

[quote author="Gus"]
Would the different PET mixes have different density and mass?[/quote]

My guess is that you wouldn't see significant differences.

All that being said, this is all just intellectual masturbation on my part. As a chemical engineer, I'm just speculating on what some of the differences between old PET and new PET might be. I'm not trying to say that there is definitely a difference or that any such difference matters. I think Dave put out a great argument about reskinning. I'm not going to spend the rest of my day on the internet spouting rules for microphone materials. :green:

-Chris

[quote author="asm"]stupid question....but spacing, hole dimensions and number of them would have a more dramatic effect on the reproduction of sound compared to the diagphram material? or no?

dale, didnt you sucessfully get nickel on one of your caps? how does the technician determine how thick the deposit of material on the diagphram is?

always like to learn :thumb:[/quote]

From my experiments... The hole patterns determine most of the sound if the diaphragm is tensioned within reason. Having a different tension does change the sound by changing the crossover point, but this seems to be pretty forgiving, actually. I'll qualify that... this only applies to the Neumann capsules. The AKG CK12 type of capsule depends on the tuning of the diaphragm much more. If you know the tuning of the diaphragm you can adjust the chambers and shims to compensate to some degree.

The diaphragm material and thickness is going to affect the tension you need to get the correct crossover frequency, and will affect the frequency response of the mic probably by quite a bit. If you adjust the diaphragm tension you can probably get most of the way there on a Neumann style mic (where the resonant characteristics of the diaphragm are less critical). Since most 'classic' mic diaphragms are 6 micron mylar, that's what I've been using.

There's a lot of science and a lot of judgement required to re-skin a mic - and I think a person needs to be willing to re-skin a few times to get a good sound or see what the sweet spot is. This is necessary because you don't have the original specification. I don't think it's magic, it's physics.

I've deposited both nickel and gold. I used nickel first because it was less expensive than gold - so if it didn't work I wouldn't worry too much about it. The evaporation process is actually quite simple after you deal with getting enough vacuum (you need about 0.2 microns) and stopping up all of the leaks. I judge the thickness by the opacity of the film and roughly the amount of gold I place on the tungsten heater element (boat). A quartz thickness monitor would be a great addition to my setup but I can't justify the cost of that when I can just do a bunch of diaphragms and choose the ones I want. I usually aim for 35 or so microns (quite thin). That thickness does not affect the mass of the diaphragm significantly but it does affect the stresses in the diaphragm - as the metal is deposited, the temperature of the diaphragm rises, so you need to heat-treat the diaphragm either before or after deposition. I prefer to do it after deposition as I can judge if a diaphragm will tension evenly by how the wrinkles straighten out. This is also why I usually do a very thin coat - it's less likely to overheat the diaphragms during the process.

I'm getting an old brass capsule C414 to try re-skinning. A local studio owner was wondering if I could try putting on a new diaphragm, so in a few weeks - and he has pretty good ears. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

You should also be able to determine the thickness by weighing the gold + boat before and after deposition. Then if you assume a point source cosine distribution, you can estimate the thickness as a function of position on your sample:

d=m*cos(theta)/4*pi*rho*r^3

theta is the angle from the source to a point on your surface with respect to the surface normal

rho is the film density, m is the total evaporated mass and r is the sample to source distance

I find the boat shatters if I try to remove it - it becomes a bit brittle after being heated up, but usually I evaporate the entire gold wire so a weight of just the wire would be sufficient. I guess I just found an amount of wire that works and I just do that.

I know from nothing about this stuff---but how can depositing 35um of gold onto 6 um of mylar not have a large effect on mass?

Somewhat unrelated but an interesting link that turned up in a search:

http://www.darpa.mil/mto/sono/presentations/caltechtai.pdf

Brad

Angstroms sounds more like it. As Emily Latella would say, "that's very different then."

Nice to see that noble old unit being used. That used to be the assumed unit of wavelength in visible light astronomy, but I think it is gradually being displaced by nanometers.

this is alll very interesting.
does anyone have any pics of this process
AND/OR:
other threads here with more info on cap re-skinning?
thanks
ts

Latest posts

Back