recommendations for 8 in / 8 out ADAT converters in 2024 ? (older Apogee Rosetta? RME ADI-8?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also a big fan of RME.

My ff800 has been running everiday since i bought it (used) in 2010.

The PSU failed 2 years ago. I replaced all the lytics in there and it was back in the rack.

I have a ferrofish with it for 16 more line in and outs.

If i had to change, i would keep the same.

As much as I like Apogee's sound quality, I'd stay clear of them because of their not so great reliability, unavailability of schematics and bad support for older units ('we don't have these old parts any more...')

We had some MOTUs. They are fine. Sound good. Well made. I was impressed with their cast alu chassis, for instance.

The only reason we stopped using them, is because the local importer changed it's service. Before, we paid a resonable exchange rate for repairs. Sometimes we got a new one, usually the exchange was a repaired one. That suited our administration well. They always suspect some monkey-business if repairs are expensive. Of course, not if the price is fixed and known beforehand.

These days, they feel you should simply buy a new one. Out-of-warranty repairs are slow and fairly expensive.

We bought Behringer ADA8000s. Cheap and cheerful. And RME interfaces. We can usually fix what goes wrong with them in-house. Parts are available and reasonably priced. But, most important to us: drivers are updated frequently and even for very old gear. Frankly, RME is the only manufacturer I can think of that cares for old stuff. I used to hate RME. Until I was forced to use one and RTFM. It took a while, but I can't live without TotalMix and DigiCheck these days.
This is the way I feel about my Metric Halos. I have a ULN-2 that I bought in 2004 and still in use, although not as much as my ULN-8s. They keep supporting them, although I don’t think any more ULN-2s will be made (due to chip availability).

+1 on Alesis HD24s and Motu. I still have 3 of the XRs (24channels at 48k or 12 channels at 96k each), 2 of them with Jim Williams mods on the analog sections, and a couple Motu 16As. Way more i/o than I’ll ever need. All sound great.

I still have 2 sets of the standard Alesis 48k boards (48 channels worth), if anyone is interested.

I have an RME UCX and I extend it via adat with a Motu 8A. They both fit in a nice little 1/2 width rack. The motu is exactly 8 in and 8 out. I think it sounds as good or better than the RME, but the RME has the superior interface and routing. You might be able to pick up a used 8a for fairly cheap. I've also successfully used them together as part of an aggregate device on mac os to keep the full channel count while using higher sample rates. My rme is old - maybe 10 years. Not sure how the newer ones compare.

Back