Recording Studio Control Room 1959

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops said:
Nice that someone that lacks singing talent can still compose, make music and express their creativity nowadays.
There's always been people who don't sing or play particularly well, but can however carry intense emotion.
I'm thinking of Arno in Belgium, Renaud in France; some would also cite Bob Dylan in this category.

Whoops said:
Nice that someone that lacks singing talent can still compose, make music and express their creativity nowadays.

It amazes me nowadays how many good artists, bands and amazing music get released everyday, it's just an amazing time and era to be a music listener.
To me the Present is the Peak in terms of sound quality and music talent diversity, but hey I didn't stop listening to new music in 79, 89 or 99.
I still listen to artists everyday that amaze me how good the songs are and how creative can music still be.

I agree, but few if any are mainstream artists. The Indie scene is where its at.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
I agree, but few if any are mainstream artists. The Indie scene is where its at.

Cheers
ian

You could be right, I'm just not sure what is indie or mainstream.

Would you say The Black Keys, Sharon Van Etten, Feist, Tame Impala, PJ Harvey, Laura Marling are mainstream or indie?

Because those are well known names that keep doing great records

Whoops said:
You could be right, I'm just not sure what is indie or mainstream.

Would you say The Black Keys, Sharon Van Etten, Feist, Tame Impala, PJ Harvey, Laura Marling are mainstream or indie?

Because those are well known names that keep doing great records

I would say mainstream is top 40 or on radio playlists. Anything else is effectively Indie.

Cheers

Ian

I'm from 1990, so not much old tech for me since I work, the first official record I did was in a korg portastudio (not the best quality for today standards, or even at the time, but a practical all in one tool)

I worked with in the box quite a lot, but I also had the chance to use a few times older tech, and I can say I did enjoyed working with it and also that I did learned a lot. Would I choose it for a production? I really don't think so. Would I like to repeat the experience given the right conditions? I really think so.

The newer tools provide a lot of things, but you can't forget there's a lot more into it than the technical specs to it. I've found quite often older tech killing the newer one, we are quite far away from guitar players to stop using stomp boxes for instance. Still a digital pedalboard is much more compact, flexible, etc. If the art demands for it, is not the tech specs who decide if it's right or wrong, is probably the satisfaction with the final product, at least from the money guy, for the lack of a better decision maker.

JS

Latest posts

Back