Redd 47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

What is the deal with the Redd 47?  Not a joke there is no punchline just wondering.

I have heard conflicting info on them. So can any one tell me the story of the recording engineering development department 47....

Cj? Emrr? Anyone?

The REDD department was part of EMI that made all sorts of electronics for use in the group's companies. The early REDD mixing consoles used V72 amplifiers from Germany. The later consoles used the REDD 47 amp instead. This was an in house design that was considerably cheaper than the V72.

Cheers

Ian

Go on? :)

Ian thanks for that info. Unfortunately That is information I already knew but thank you for confirming it. I guess I should phrase the question/s better.

How good are they?
What makes them special, is it just because of the beatles?
What would you compare them to?

In Short, I am  looking for more opinion on them in terms of sonics and use.

Others will chime in but in my experience they are phenomenal units and sonically they are warm and smooth like Neve pres.
I was able to use Chandlers new offering and a buddies diy build just recently and I reached for the redd 47s as often as the 1073s.
Cm47 to redd47 to 1176 is a guaranteed top notch channel strip for vocals.
Btw I had the opportunity to buy a rare Ian Thompson Bell 'classic' tube preamp pcb and have just finished it and in the few bit of tracking I've done with it id say its on the same level if not more versatile.
Exceptional.
I'll post some pics when im done touching it up.

ruffrecords said:
The REDD department was part of EMI that made all sorts of electronics for use in the group's companies. The early REDD mixing consoles used V72 amplifiers from Germany. The later consoles used the REDD 47 amp instead. This was an in house design that was considerably cheaper than the V72.

Oh, I see -- the REDD 47 was specifically designed to be cheaper than the V72, therefore the REDD 47 is a piece of shit that one should never put in any serious audio path.

Got it!  ;D

o.k. so  next questions

Had it never been used by the beatles, would we be doing anything with it  these days? would it have the mojo it is said to have? Would people and companies be doing knock off's of it?

pucho812 said:
o.k. so  next questions

Had it never been used by the beatles, would we be doing anything with it  these days? would it have the mojo it is said to have? Would people and companies be doing knock off's of it?

I see that you ask questions to which you already know the answer.  ::)

pucho812 said:
o.k. so  next questions

Had it never been used by the Beatles, would we be doing anything with it  these days? would it have the mojo it is said to have? Would people and companies be doing knock off's of it?

I think it would still have been popular. The Beatles were not the only famous artistes that EMI recorded. The early REDD desks were not even meant for 'pop' music as we know it today.

The reason I think it would be popular today is because, like most tube preamps, it is class A and it has very good headroom coupled with excellent transformers - the same reason we all like the class A stuff from Neve and Helios in the 70s.  Later designs full of op amps with their class B output stages just do not sound the same.

Cheers

Ian

If it wasn't associated with the Beatles, we wouldn't be talking about it (especially given how few were actually made); just like all the other similar preamp circuits we hardly ever discuss, never clone, and can buy relatively cheaply on ebay most days of the week. 

As well, if it's not the original transformers, it's not a REDD47.  It's a REDD47 tribute that easily sounds little like the real thing.  The transformers are virtually always the bulk of any sonic imprint left, any preamp you want to talk about.  Change that, it's something different. 

emrr said:
If it wasn't associated with the Beatles, we wouldn't be talking about it (especially given how few were actually made); just like all the other similar preamp circuits we hardly ever discuss, never clone, and can buy relatively cheaply on ebay most days of the week. 

As you know I am a student of early tube mic pre designs. Could you list a few of the preamps circuits that can be bought relatively cheaply on eBay? I would like to buy some for study.

Cheers

Ian

Jeez, Ian.  Relative to a REDD47.  All sorts of things under $400 on a regular basis.  Anybody got a price on an original REDD47?  I'd guess at least 20X+.    The only stuff that outclasses it in price is WE, and neither is about sound quality alone, in fact that's pretty far down the list of reasons they are in demand.

emrr said:
Jeez, Ian.  Relative to a REDD47.  All sorts of things under $400 on a regular basis.  Anybody got a price on an original REDD47?  I'd guess at least 20X+.    The only stuff that outclasses it in price is WE, and neither is about sound quality alone, in fact that's pretty far down the list of reasons they are in demand.

Ah, it would appear your definition of relatively cheaply and mine are rather different!

Cheers

Ian

For the most part these days that defines the cheap end.  In some cases still cheaper than DIY, another definition.  Usually using transformers that couldn't be had any cheaper raw, another definition. 

Back