Refurb tape machines

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaddai

Been kickin around this idea, figured I'd spill it & see what kind of feedback comes from it.

I've been thinking about picking up a few higher end consumer reel decks (GX747, RS1500, RT909, B77's etc) or lower end studio machines (Tascam 32's, ATR700) and refurbing them to sell. Maybe new belts, lube job, re-cap, swap for better opamps if workable. Once the machines were in good physical & electronic shape, I'd line them back up with an MRL, package them with a few 7" reels of good tape, the owners & tech manuals, a general guide to using tape & slapping a 30 day warranty on them...maybe I'd even make some old audio recordings like a JFK speech, Apollo landings or Elvis or something & throw that in the box too.

I know buying the machines for the right price is going to be critical, but do you think this is a viable option for generating some side $$?

Just a thought. Thanks in advance for feedback :)
Todd

There is almost no market for R2R machines beyond the collector. I had a friend trying to sell a Fostex 16 track. I think he got like $100.00 for it on fleaBay.

Hah, I'm not sure what kind of feedback you expecting...
Buy cheap and sell for $$$ - that's gescheftmacher's 101 for you.
As for tape machines, I bought 2 Otari 5050s from a garage sale for $200.
Then they went on ebay for around $500 each...
I of course only sold em because I had 3 more...
Doesnt have to be tape machines though.
Any hifi stuff gets way expensive on ebay...
And yeah, I ordered a pinch roller from that guy for a Nagra, he was fast and the roller was good - :thumb: recommended!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was expecting actually :) Nice job on the Otari's. I spruced up a 5050 earlier this year, did pretty okay on it for a day's work.

I had a friend trying to sell a Fostex 16 track. I think he got like $100.00 for it on fleaBay.

I could believe that. Fostex stuff is tough to sell to start with, and if it was a 16 track 1/2" machine, the sound quality wouldn't be much better than a cassette. The only upside to the reel machine would be that it runs the tape faster than the cassette does...the actual track width would be very similar, if not exactly the same.

Todd

I wish I had access to one of those 1/2" 16 tracks. I have three reels in my closed of 10 year old recording done at a studio in Zimbabwe I'd love to be able to remaster.

Coincidence+OT: nice story about a tape transfer:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/articles/soundingoff_1108.htm

soundingoff.jpg

I have some tapes from my grandparents to my mom like that. I transfered them to cd for my mom a few years ago. It's funny how much personality comes through regardless of what is said. one tape is literally my English grandma saying " is this on?.." stop tape "now its on, no it isnt..." stop tape.." yes it is..." for about 10 minutes, absolutley no actual information but it was and is a moving experience to hear. and that was her. the last bit is a party with everyone singing that is awesome. Now Im going to have to break it out again.

I love those time capsules. I have some of those myself, and in the commercial studio, those types of transfers were always dumped on the tech. Holiday parties, breakfast 1967, all sorts of things.
Always a pleasure to bring to life, like archeological objects.
Mike

Back