Repairing mint M50 - Aluminum capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua

I just bought a pair of M50's with Aluminum capsules. They hadn't been used for some time. I wanted to make sure everything checked out so I hooked the mics up directly to a trusted power source and brought the voltage up to 701 volts as per the note on the schematic, I think its called a schematic. The mic started smoking and sputtering and smelled pretty bad and it doesn't work at all. I'm thinking it might be defective. Probably going to hold off on the other mic for a bit.

...701 volts! Could you share / link that schematic here please? Are you sure that's not a note that it's an AC701 tube installed?

(Edit: in which case, I'm not surprised that you let out the magic smoke by pumping that kind of voltage through it.)

(Edit edit: this must be a wind-up?)

Reminds me of the day I plugged my 1959 Les Paul with PAF's in the wall socket.
I was disappointed that an "electric" guitar was supplied without a power cord. I had to make one with a Schuko at one end and a 1/4" TS at the other.
Didn't make much sound, except for a brief buzz before relasing some smoke.
Same with the ELA251, but here, the power cord was easier because the plug was bigger.:poop:

Reminds me of the day I plugged my 1959 Les Paul with PAF's in the wall socket.
I was disappointed that an "electric" guitar was supplied without a power cord. I had to make one with a Schuko at one end and a 1/4" TS at the other.
Didn't make much sound, except for a brief buzz before relasing some smoke.
Same with the ELA251, but here, the power cord was easier because the plug was bigger.:poop:
To veer considerably, I'm reminded of the fact that I broke every balsa glider I got when I was a kid, because it said 'bend' on the stabilizer. I don't want to tell you how old I was till I realized that it said 'Bend' on one side, and 'Oregon' on the other, because that's where they were made : - /

Back