Repurposing Preamps from Soundcraft MH3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've searched the forum, but haven't been able to find anything on this subject, and not sure where best to post this, and my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area.

I am absolutely a novice-I have a friend, has a Soundcraft MH3, 24 channel. He wants to take all the channel strips out, and utilize the pre's as mic pre's in his home studio. He has asked me how this would work...and I have no idea...my guess is we need the 48V for the phantom power, and the +17V and -17V for the pre's. We do have the original power supply, and it's massive. Can somebody point me the right direction? I can supply pics of what we have.
TIA!

The biggest issue I can see is that the MH4 channel strip includes a whole bunch of stuff you do not need for a mic pre - basically everything from the AUX sends downwards. However you will need to use the whole module so if you rack up 24 of these is will be much the same size as the mixer.

Cheers

Ian

I've searched the forum, but haven't been able to find anything on this subject, and not sure where best to post this, and my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area.

I am absolutely a novice-I have a friend, has a Soundcraft MH3, 24 channel. He wants to take all the channel strips out, and utilize the pre's as mic pre's in his home studio. He has asked me how this would work...and I have no idea...my guess is we need the 48V for the phantom power, and the +17V and -17V for the pre's. We do have the original power supply, and it's massive. Can somebody point me the right direction? I can supply pics of what we have.
TIA!
What's he want - single units, stereo pairs, or what?

More deets needed.

The biggest issue I can see is that the MH4 channel strip includes a whole bunch of stuff you do not need for a mic pre - basically everything from the AUX sends downwards. However you will need to use the whole module so if you rack up 24 of these is will be much the same size as the mixer.

Cheers

Ian
That would work, we can rack in a portable rack, so that would save some space…would we be able to also utilize the eq?

Back