Resonance control in filters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For theory get a book or two and prepare yourself for some maths. In general the resonance refers to the relationship between the filter gain and Q which defines the bump at the cut-off point. In other words that's where the resonance happens. So, there is a very good reason that relationship has to be maintained. You simply can not take any HP/LP filter and stick a control on it.

Last edited:
For theory get a book or two and prepare yourself for some maths. In general the resonance refers to the relationship between the filter gain and Q which defines the bump at the cut-off point. In other words that's where the resonance happens. So, there is a very good reason that relationship has to be maintained. You simply can not take any HP/LP filter and stick a control on it.
Thanks.

And FWIW, resonance starts from 2nd order filters onwards.

Simple 1st order filters (so those with just one L or one C) can't be made to peak.
(Well, they can be expanded to do so, but then they're not 1st order anymore.)

So far I have schematic in my collection which has hi/lo pass filters with resonance control. They also have vca’s for dynamic tracking. I thought about adapting that and junking the vca’s and dynamic tracking, but where is the fun there.

And FWIW, resonance starts from 2nd order filters onwards.

Simple 1st order filters (so those with just one L or one C) can't be made to peak.
(Well, they can be expanded to do so, but then they're not 1st order anymore.)
Indeed. (However, from the theory point of view the 1st order filters can only resonate at zero frequency.)

So far I have schematic in my collection which has hi/lo pass filters with resonance control. They also have vca’s for dynamic tracking. I thought about adapting that and junking the vca’s and dynamic tracking, but where is the fun there.

Pucho would it be possible to post the schematic?

Indeed. (However, from the theory point of view the 1st order filters can only resonate at zero frequency.)

Pucho would it be possible to post the schematic?
a dm of said schematic might be better then public access. Public access and then warm or others have a new toy to peddle. Plus I have to check if it can go out into the world.

Last edited:
a dm of said schematic might be better then public access. Public access and then warm or others have a new toy to peddle. Plus I have to check if it can go out into the world.
Not a problem. I do not release our schematics. So, I completely understand.

Latest posts

Back