Resotune II - drum tuner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

I received my Resotune II last week, and i finally had time to play with it.

i have this really old, crappy, rusty floor tom that i bought from ebay, for $15 years ago. 
i bought it to bang it around, beat it with metal, sand, glass etc to sample different tom sounds etc for sound_design works..
anyhow,  i thought it would be great to test Resotune II on this old crappy tom...
it always sounded horrible btw. i have really good drummer friends, and they gave_up on tuning it ,
;D ;D ;D

after spending couple of hours, i managed to tune this tom to C# via TUNE LUG.
which was the  possible lowest note for this tom... tuners wee almost loose at this point... 
rusty lose tuners doesnt help much. but
after some struggle, i managed it...

started to beat it...
WTH!
DAMN,  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
tom sounding fantastic now :) 
this floor tom never sounded this good... not even remotely close to this tone ever, never....
harmonics are so even, its almost a singing tom now. beating is a joy to this tom..
i was expecting some good results, but not this good!
Resotune II ROCKS :)

i have other proper floor toms with nice tuners and skins etc... tuning them is on the fly...

thanks for the hard work John :)

http://circularscience.com/

I have had this on my list of things to buy, and my annual bonus finally just hit my bank account... Thanks for reminding me to place an order!  I've been playing drums for over 20 years, can't tune em worth a damn.

kambo said:
I received my Resotune II last week, and i finally had time to play with it.

i have this really old, crappy, rusty floor tom that i bought from ebay, for $15 years ago. 
i bought it to bang it around, beat it with metal, sand, glass etc to sample different tom sounds etc for sound_design works..
anyhow,  i thought it would be great to test Resotune II on this old crappy tom...
it always sounded horrible btw. i have really good drummer friends, and they gave_up on tuning it ,
;D ;D ;D

after spending couple of hours, i managed to tune this tom to C# via TUNE LUG.
which was the  possible lowest note for this tom... tuners wee almost loose at this point... 
rusty lose tuners doesnt help much. but
after some struggle, i managed it...

started to beat it...
WTH!
DAMN,  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
tom sounding fantastic now :) 
this floor tom never sounded this good... not even remotely close to this tone ever, never....
harmonics are so even, its almost a singing tom now. beating is a joy to this tom..
i was expecting some good results, but not this good!
Resotune II ROCKS :)

i have other proper floor toms with nice tuners and skins etc... tuning them is on the fly...

thanks for the hard work John :)

http://circularscience.com/
I have shared some similar enthusiastic customer feedback on my website, but it just sounds like hyperbole and cherry picking, coming from me. http://circularscience.com/reviews-and-users Not to brag, (well maybe a little) there's an endorsement there from the guy who invented and makes the Drum Dial (Steve Fischer).  He makes and sells drum tuners but uses mine.

Just to be accurate, the thing that makes your drum sound so much better is not the tuning it to a specific note more accurately, but the way RESOTUNE can precisely measure each lug's affect on the total drumhead resonance, and more importantly quantify that affect for adjusting each lug relative to all the other lugs. I actually measure the phase shift of the returning signal coming back from the drum. Measuring the actual return from the drumhead, ignores your rusty hardware, and imperfect drum knife edges, etc.

I've heard similar customer feedback about "problem" drums that suddenly were able to be tuned using RESOTUNE. Again a promise I don't want to make too widely since I'm sure there is a drum out there somewhere that even RESOTUNE can't rescue.  :-[  It can't make a lousy drum with a bad heads sound like angels singing, but it will help you make any drum sound as good as it reasonably can.  ;D  The better the drum and heads, the better the result, of course.

This head/lug "clearing" process is an extra step, performed after the head has already been tuned (voiced) for a specific note pitch, and doesn't change that note pitch. Clearing just makes all the lugs sing that same one note pitch together more purely. 

Thanks for the kind words always good hear, even better to read.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Just to be accurate, the thing that makes your drum sound so much better is not the tuning it to a specific note more accurately, but the way RESOTUNE can precisely measure each lug's affect on the total drumhead resonance, and more importantly quantify that affect for adjusting each lug relative to all the other lugs. I actually measure the phase shift of the returning signal coming back from the drum. Measuring the actual return from the drumhead, ignores your rusty hardware, and imperfect drum knife edges, etc.

JR

excuse my French ! u explained it better... ( as always :) )

i was giving a real life example of how lo u can go in tuning so precisely with extremely crappy drums,
with a result of pure tone...

this thing is annoyingly accurate !

Krcwell said:
I have had this on my list of things to buy, and my annual bonus finally just hit my bank account... Thanks for reminding me to place an order!  I've been playing drums for over 20 years, can't tune em worth a damn.
Thanks I'm processing your order this morning...

JR

kambo said:
JohnRoberts said:

JR

excuse my French ! u explained it better... ( as always :) )

i was giving a real life example of how lo u can go in tuning so precisely with extremely crappy drums,
with a result of pure tone...

this thing is annoyingly accurate !
No worries...  One thing to note when tuning real low, the lugs are looser so can go out of tune more easily after playing hard.

The practical limit for how low you can tune is when the head is no longer in good contact with the knife edge. Any buzzes or spurious noises will interfere with the tuning process.

FWIW all else equal, the same drum with only one head mounted, at the same tension will deliver a lower fundamental pitch than with both heads mounted (a physics thing).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
No worries...  One thing to note when tuning real low, the lugs are looser so can go out of tune more easily after playing hard.

JR

this gonna sound like a commercial but here u go

i have Resotune II ... i can tune back to what it was  ;)

i think i saved the note for it 

Okay, I am thinking so long now about buying Resotune, now I did it.
I hope, it's better as the Drum Dial, which somehow never worked properly. I had the analogue version.
Then it slipped from the floor tom and never worked again...

kosi said:
Okay, I am thinking so long now about buying Resotune, now I did it.
I hope, it's better as the Drum Dial, which somehow never worked properly. I had the analogue version.
Then it slipped from the floor tom and never worked again...
I used to sell Drum Dials on my website for my customers to use when "rough tuning", like after changing heads to first get the heads to a ball park tension before using RESOTUNE to finish tuning with.

If drums had perfectly round shells, and perfect knife edges, and perfect heads, and perfect hardware, etc measuring the head tension at various points would be adequate to get your drums sounding perfect too, but alas drums are not perfect.

Imagine trying to tune a guitar by pulling on each string with a tension gauge to see how tight it is.  In theory that should work, but in my experience it works a  lot better to listen to and measure the sound the actual string (or drum head) is making.

Thanks for your order, it will ship out tomorrow morning.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I used to sell Drum Dials on my website for my customers to use when "rough tuning", like after changing heads to first get the heads to a ball park tension before using RESOTUNE to finish tuning with.

i did that with TUNE LUG , DrumDial is probably faster on that...

kambo said:
JohnRoberts said:

i did that with TUNE LUG , DrumDial is probably faster on that...
If bringing a new head up to a previous (saved) tuning or new target. The tune lug note will be roughly the same between one head mounted or two heads mounted. I would first get them all the same at some lower note, then gradually tweak them up a similar amount.

JR 

Latest posts

Back