Roseanne Barr(ed)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thread  took off , just playing catch up there now . Thread topic is only to get ball rolling and if the convo takes a different turn thats all fine too . I guess theres really not so much to discuss about the Barre case ,as I said I had no love for the girl's comedy ,but there is a part of me that does feel sorry for her , even though its entirely of her own making .  Of course her career may be over in terms of mainstream Tv , but perhaps if theres public capacity to forgive her, coupled with somekind of genuine appology /attonement ,surely she doesnt deserve to die in the show biz wilderness . Its all a bit mad when a careless twitter or two nullifies a lifetimes work . I think we've probably all made hot headed comments that were condecending or worse towards minorities or other cultures at some point, verbally at least .Casting angry words in stone via social media brings things to a different level again. In a way the social media is like a reverb generator on words ,without it  the angry ratings and ravings decay very quickly but once the feedback loop is engaged the words resound ,
a metaphysical recombobulator ,
yeah thats what it is  ;D

Tubetec said:
Wow thread  took off , just playing catch up there now . Thread topic is only to get ball rolling and if the convo takes a different turn thats all fine too . I guess theres really not so much to discuss about the Barre case ,as I said I had no love for the girl's comedy ,but there is a part of me that does feel sorry for her , even though its entirely of her own making . 
It appears this is not her first walk in the alt-right weeds. Indeed personal actions have personal consequences.
Of course her career may be over in terms of mainstream Tv , but perhaps if theres public capacity to forgive her, coupled with somekind of genuine appology /attonement ,surely she doesnt deserve to die in the show biz wilderness . Its all a bit mad when a careless twitter or two nullifies a lifetimes work .
That is life in todays cultural climate and a lot of anger looking for high profile targets.  I am more sad about everybody else working on that show, and it's promise for bringing civil dialog and inspection of important topics to TV's one note wasteland.

I'm willing to bet, that show returns in some fashion, perhaps after Roseanne is conveniently killed off, or explained off screen (maybe some time in TV prison would help her image).  Too much money to ignore, but there was some actual potential to improve public discourse, something we sorely need. 
I think we've probably all made hot headed comments that were condecending or worse towards minorities or other cultures at some point, verbally at least .Casting angry words in stone via social media brings things to a different level again. In a way the social media is like a reverb generator on words ,without it  the angry ratings and ravings decay very quickly but once the feedback loop is engaged the words resound ,
a metaphysical recombobulator ,
yeah thats what it is  ;D
I already suggested I wanted to invent a twitter remover, but since time travel is involved it's beyond my limited design chops.

JR

One of the tv stations I get is called la*ff tv.  There are some classic comedy shows on it that I really like, although the amount of censoring they do to the shows is ridiculous.  And I'm not talking about stuff from the sixties, or before all the political correctness.  These are shows that are from the last 20 years, that originally aired on plain old network tv.  At first I thought they were just having tech issues, but it became obvious after a while that it was on purpose.  I actually had to google about the stuff they censored, because it didn't make sense to me why they were editing it out.  After researching it, I still don't get it.  As far as I can tell, it's just another case of being oversensitive and worried about getting sued.

Anyway, one of the shows they have is the old Roseanne from years ago.  I never really watched her show, she just always seemed obnoxious and loud, but she was obviously very popular.  I turned the station last week to watch my usual show, and noticed her show wasn't on, there was something else in its place.  I assumed it was just technical issues.  But the next day, after seeing her deal in the news feed, I wondered, "hmmmm. . . " . 

So I looked it up online.  Yup, they pulled her old show off, too.  It ran 4 hours a day, 7 days a week, so that's a big chunk of space, not to mention in prime time, as well.  They temporarily replaced it with Nt. Court, but I noticed last night they are going to put Hm. Improvemnt on in its place starting tomorrow.  I looked at a bunch of different sites, and people that liked the old show said the only reason they watched that network was for her show.  Some said now that they took the show off, they would never watch that network again.  Like I said, I didn't watch that show to begin with, but after seeing another show that had the ENTIRE episode censored, I think I'm done, as well.  For that show, I just took out my dvd copy and watched without issues. It's just ridiculous.  ::)

at what point do we say enough?  She said something stupid. she said sorry. She  said it was ambian(sp). the Ambian people making the stuff joked that it was impossible and racism was not a side effect. Have you seen the side effects from ambian?  If it is true she took it, I can see it as plausible.  Many have done far worse on that drug.  But hey o.k. lets punish her  and pull old running shows because why not right?    Will weinstein movies no longer air on t.v. because of what he did? Hell it took a guilty verdict in the cosby case before they pulled his reruns.  I suspect this won't last long because she will be forgotten about shortly.

The Kid said:
One of the tv stations I get is called la*ff tv.  There are some classic comedy shows on it that I really like, although the amount of censoring they do to the shows is ridiculous.  And I'm not talking about stuff from the sixties, or before all the political correctness.  These are shows that are from the last 20 years, that originally aired on plain old network tv.  At first I thought they were just having tech issues, but it became obvious after a while that it was on purpose.  I actually had to google about the stuff they censored, because it didn't make sense to me why they were editing it out.  After researching it, I still don't get it.  As far as I can tell, it's just another case of being oversensitive and worried about getting sued.

Anyway, one of the shows they have is the old Roseanne from years ago.  I never really watched her show, she just always seemed obnoxious and loud, but she was obviously very popular.  I turned the station last week to watch my usual show, and noticed her show wasn't on, there was something else in its place.  I assumed it was just technical issues.  But the next day, after seeing her deal in the news feed, I wondered, "hmmmm. . . " . 

So I looked it up online.  Yup, they pulled her old show off, too.  It ran 4 hours a day, 7 days a week, so that's a big chunk of space, not to mention in prime time, as well.  They temporarily replaced it with Nt. Court, but I noticed last night they are going to put Hm. Improvemnt on in its place starting tomorrow.  I looked at a bunch of different sites, and people that liked the old show said the only reason they watched that network was for her show.  Some said now that they took the show off, they would never watch that network again.  Like I said, I didn't watch that show to begin with, but after seeing another show that had the ENTIRE episode censored, I think I'm done, as well.  For that show, I just took out my dvd copy and watched without issues. It's just ridiculous.  ::)
If you want a real eye opener watch old movies from the 30s and 40s... even their strict censorship wasn't as tight a__ed as now. They were more worried about showing some ankle than modern cultural sensitivity's version of right and wrong.

Roseanne was never PC or C (correct) for that matter.  There are some old TV and radio shows that will stay buried, despite being OK for their "time".

JR

scott2000 said:
Not sure....There was no mention of "cr*@k^r$"  Just White People.....

I guess is could be similar to a type of temporary apartheid.....??? but this isn't South Africa so, I wouldn't know....

a·part·heid
əˈpärtˌ(h)āt,əˈpärtˌ(h)īt/
nounhistorical
noun: apartheid

(in South Africa) a policy or system of segregation or discrimination on grounds of race.

Like this....

Louis Farrakhan: 'Jews are my enemy,' 'white folks are going down'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/politics/louis-farrakhan-speech/index.html

No mention of racist slang words....so, it's all good...
One amusing (to me) quip is "if it wasn't for double standards they'd have no standards at all"... :eek: 

My apologies to any who take this personally it's just team politics and the two(?) sides have been judged by different standards as long as I can remember.

Roseanne is indefensible (not just for what she said) and while it was fun to watch when she appeared to be rooting for the right team, loose cannons often break their moorings and cause friendly fire.

She will be in TV jail for some time, perhaps a life sentence.

JR

As I predicted the network will not allow that cash cow to wander off while still giving milk, so they are rebooting it minus Roseanne who is still in PC prison.

The new show will be called the "Connors (?)" and pop around Oct.

JR

That Zucher needs a nice spell in Federal prison for aiding and abetting a foreign power to interfere with elections.Putin isnt going to admit it ever ,and anyone who could connect him to the plot has been exuded through a fine mesh in the MRM factory already.

Zuckerberg is in wall street jail  (facebook stock fell over 20% after hours yesterday) because his increased spending to hire humans to vet all the fake and disruptive posts, costs enough money to significantly impact earnings.

Social media had been given a free ride so far but like content publishing will end up with more regulation. Europe is ahead of the US imposing regulations on social media (for better and worse).

JR

PS: Facebook stock may be a trade on this overnight dip (for a quick bounce), but i expect more regulatory costs in the future.  I wouldn't buy it even if I had all your money.  8)

I read that Zuckerberg has been selling tons of his FB stock over the past few months. (insider selling needs to be declared). Same old story. 
I don't know why anyone would have invested in FB this year. It's popularity is low among young people.  It already has millions of people. What was the growth story to have a high value? Greater fool.
I expect internet fads will be more fickle and people will learn this with FB. I'll be glad to see FB become the new myspace to make jokes about.  The ignorant will have to find a new way to be fed propaganda in an echo chamber.

Attachments

• 7sins_social_media.jpg
    7sins_social_media.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
dmp said:
I read that Zuckerberg has been selling tons of his FB stock over the past few months. (insider selling needs to be declared).
it is...  https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/fb/insider-trades
Same old story. 
Wealthy founders sell stock? He has promised to sell tens of millions of shares to fund charitable giving. Lots of scheduled selling.
I don't know why anyone would have invested in FB this year. It's popularity is low among young people.  It already has millions of people. What was the growth story to have a high value? Greater fool.
The whole FANG group is widely owned and still being bought because it keeps going up (a phenomenon called momentum investing). Besides individual investors the FANG group are held in many indexes and mutual funds.

Facebook growth in existing markets is slowing, due to law of big numbers.  He has zero penetration in china where he just announced an investment to develop new technology, but I find it hard to ignore that he may be looking for some oblique new angle to enter that huge market.
I expect internet fads will be more fickle and people will learn this with FB. I'll be glad to see FB become the new myspace to make jokes about.  The ignorant will have to find a new way to be fed propaganda in an echo chamber.
But what do you really think... ?

I sold my amazon and google stocks too soon, I never bought facebook (it might be a short term trade right now, still down 19%, but even with that it has only retraced back to price levels of a few months ago. )

Likewise I sold my twitter (for a profit) but way too soon... I bought it as a short term trade betting some big company would buy them, and sold it when that didn't happen. I never expected them to return a profit this soon.  :-[ . 

Time travel would make the stock market a lot easier.

JR

PS: I'm old so not as smart as young investors  ::), but more importantly I do not have the luxury of riding out short term market perturbations for years, so I am selling stocks these days too (not quite on the scale of Zuckerberg).  Facebook is probably a fair long term investment as he buys up competitors and new technology, just not for me.

Interesting that today twitter is getting pummeled today for low user numbers. They have been culling fake accounts / bots.
Interesting that investors /  speculators would see it as a negative to cut those accounts vs before todays earning report when it was widely known (anecdotally) that there were a lot of fake accounts.
And they showed a profit for the third quarter in a row.

I do like twitter, although the quality of an individual users experience is pretty dependent on the voices you follow. I follow economic / finance and news outlets and find it really interesting.

Back on topic -

There seems to be an interesting cultural moment going on with regard to celebrities or politicians being judged in popular opinion. The consequences vary greatly.

The situation with Roseanne has been dissected in this thread.  How long should she be in the dog house for it?

Compare the Al Franken situation with Jim Jordan.  Some politicians resign while others ignore the criticism?

dmp said:
Interesting that today twitter is getting pummeled today for low user numbers. They have been culling fake accounts / bots.
Interesting that investors /  speculators would see it as a negative to cut those accounts vs before todays earning report when it was widely known (anecdotally) that there were a lot of fake accounts.
And they showed a profit for the third quarter in a row.

I do like twitter, although the quality of an individual users experience is pretty dependent on the voices you follow. I follow economic / finance and news outlets and find it really interesting.
Twitter has value as an "instant" news source (for better and worse), while I prefer to wait sometimes even days for more comprehensive written news reportage.

Twitter announced that they were culling fake accounts weeks(?) ago.

It feels like there are some macro rotations going on in the market, but nothing I would dare trade.

I still think Disney or somebody like that should have bought twitter while it was so cheap.  :(

JR

dmp said:
Back on topic -

There seems to be an interesting cultural moment going on with regard to celebrities or politicians being judged in popular opinion. The consequences vary greatly.
Celebrities and politicians have always been held up to public scrutiny. What has changed is the lynch mob mentality on social media where they look for the next victim to all pile onto. 

I have been commenting on the #me too cultural shift (more than a moment) for a while now.  I think Cosby might have been the iconic first celebrity scalp to nail to the wall but there are several.

Today's high profile #me too scalp looks like Les Moonves (CBS).
The situation with Roseanne has been dissected in this thread.  How long should she be in the dog house for it?
Until she has been rehabilitated, or forgotten, so not for a while. I can't think of of any past bad dogs that have been completely forgiven.  How many years did it take for Mel Gibson to be tolerated in public again?

President Clinton survived his trials and tribulations because it was a different time and this #me too cultural shift had not occurred yet. Ironic perhaps the europeans criticized us for being too puritanical back then. I wonder what they think now.  ::) (rhetorical I don't want to know).
Compare the Al Franken situation with Jim Jordan.  Some politicians resign while others ignore the criticism?
Nobody should be surprised that men (and women) in positions of power use that power to get things they want (while women have somewhat different urges... oh-oh can I even say that?  :eek:). Famous athletes, wealthy businessmen, politicians (yes even they get tail). It is even more insidious in the entertainment industry when executives can make or break pretty young actress's careers (they invented the casting couch over a century ago).  The gymnastics coaches seemed also to have disproportionate influence over attractive very young women (girls?).

I think it is an easy bet that are 10x as many cases not yet public, than what we know about. This is not good or bad, it just is. This cultural shift is like a tide going out and we are far from seeing everyone who isn't wearing trunks yet.  ::)

Glad I'm not famous, while to the best of my recollection I have always been a gentleman. But I never had Cosby, or Tiger , or President Clinton like opportunities to resist. Human nature is not very pretty when we look too closely, and we are only a couple steps socialized beyond our caveman/hunter gather ancestors.

JR

Latest posts

Back