royer PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacho459

Do any of you black market entrepreneurs sell the MXL 2001 "Royer mod" PCBs? If not do any of you have the layout?

I know I asked before but I never found one.

They are at the old Group DIY but I decided to add them to the new place so that when the old place closes they will still be ... somewhere.
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/misc/TubeMic_PS_CP.pdf
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/misc/TubeMic_PS_TL.pdf
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/misc/TubeMic_PS_BL.pdf
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/misc/TubeMic_PS_OL.pdf

err
umm
:roll:
well

let me think about that for a while

Simple project yes
but it's a microphone and they do have their issues.
Simple but could be tricky and at the end of the day that's the point.
Heavy hands can make a disaster of this.
Oh and there is some volts in the power supply so a degree of caution in there too.

Is there any reason why a person shouldn't try to do this without a PCB, just using perfboard for both the mic and the power supply boards?

It seems that with the help of these files for parts layout, it might be a lot simpler to use perfboard instead of trying to make a PCB (which, admittedly, I've never tried) or have one made.

Thanks for your patience on the beginner questions.

[quote author="Nat M."]Is there any reason why a person shouldn't try to do this without a PCB, just using perfboard for both the mic and the power supply boards?
[/quote]

Nope, no reason, except of perf. board is cheaper, faster, and easier to tweek. Got the hint? :wink:

[quote author="Marik"][quote author="Nat M."]Is there any reason why a person shouldn't try to do this without a PCB, just using perfboard for both the mic and the power supply boards?
[/quote]

Nope, no reason, except of perf. board is cheaper, faster, and easier to tweek. Got the hint? :wink:[/quote]

That's what I'm planing on doing anyway, I just wanted to see the layout.

Look at the picture of my tubed mxl2001s that is basicly the royer. there ar pictures of both sides and Zebra even points out the single point ground wiring

Hi
If anyone made Royer mod with B2-Pro I make a pcb for it. I can send Corel od pdf ready to transfer. I make a hole to incorporate DB-EU on pcb.
Royer_JT.JPG

Duka

Duka

Are you using the royer schematic? Tthe capsule voltage part of the circuit looks a little different . I also appers you have the gridwire soldered to a pcb pad. You want top make that in the air and off the PCB. You might have a hum pickup problem not using a transformer with a shield can. I would think for this microphone you would want a shielded can transformer.

Gus

[quote author="Gus"]Duka

Are you using the royer schematic? Tthe capsule voltage part of the circuit looks a little different . I also appers you have the gridwire soldered to a pcb pad. You want top make that in the air and off the PCB. You might have a hum pickup problem not using a transformer with a shield can. I would think for this microphone you would want a shielded can transformer.

Gus[/quote]

Hi Gus
I used Royer schematic with 1G grid to ground, 100uF elco parallel to 750 ohm, 1K and 1uF for voltage and Wima 1uF to DB-EU, influenced by Zebra schematics. Also I asked on forum (you too) about can for transformer. I made mistake when I order transformer. Someone, I think Chris, told me that will be good and microphone chassis would be good can. I am thinking about other transformers who havent can. I appreciate your opinion about gridwire but I saw many circuit with gridwire on pcb. Here is very short connection 1G, grid-point 1 and capsule. In this circuit we can put wire from tube direct to capsule but how connect 1G?.
Thanks for comment.
Duka

the 1 gig one end is connect to the grid wire and capsule. One end of the 1 gig is soldered the other in the air.

Yes some microphones have the gate or grid on the board however often they are charge amps circuits. Agate or grid on the board is asking for noise fro leakage paths. In the older neumann stuff like the u87 the gate is in the air. Even the cheap china stuff has insulated standoffs for hih Z connections

grid or gate on the PCB is a bad design but easier and cheaper to build.

[quote author="Gus"]the 1 gig one end is connect to the grid wire and capsule. One end of the 1 gig is soldered the other in the air.

Yes some microphones have the gate or grid on the board however often they are charge amps circuits. Agate or grid on the board is asking for noise fro leakage paths. In the older neumann stuff like the u87 the gate is in the air. Even the cheap china stuff has insulated standoffs for hih Z connections

grid or gate on the PCB is a bad design but easier and cheaper to build.[/quote]

Hi Gus
Dont be much critic :grin:
There isnt trace, only one point (like i connect three wire on turret) with three contact.
Duka

Duka

I have learned the hard way that any leakage path can mess up the sound of a microphone. FWIW I had worked on a microphone that I had this cracky noise. It turned out my fingers made the 1 gig and 1000pf cap at the capsule to gate more conductive because of leakage I changed the 100pf and cleaned the 1 gig no more noise.

Even that one point on a pcb can have leakage paths to other parts of the circuit say you have the microphone in the cold temps outside then bring it inside water vapor will condense on the capsule and the PCB.

The one point on the board will work fine most of the time but why not be the best?

[quote author="Gus"]Duka

I have learned the hard way that any leakage path can mess up the sound of a microphone. FWIW I had worked on a microphone that I had this cracky noise. It turned out my fingers made the 1 gig and 1000pf cap at the capsule to gate more conductive because of leakage I changed the 100pf and cleaned the 1 gig no more noise.

Even that one point on a pcb can have leakage paths to other parts of the circuit say you have the microphone in the cold temps outside then bring it inside water vapor will condense on the capsule and the PCB.

The one point on the board will work fine most of the time but why not be the best?[/quote]

:grin: Thanks :grin:
You are the best :thumb:
You learned me much about mic!!!!!

[quote author="Gus"]Duka

quote]

Hi Gus...I learned after working on Ph meters that used 30 gigohm resistors in them that if you put the high resistance resistors in denatured alcohol until they are ready to be installed and wear clean(also cleaned with alcohol) latex rubber gloves when installing them and you will very rarely have problems with contaminated parts. I have also seen problems with fets as they also have very high impedance inputs and they also can become noisey when contaminated....and of course, make sure the pcb is absolutely cleaned of flux (especially water soluble, also called organic, flux). This flux is not only conductive because it absorbs water but also is mildly corrosive....a good douche of flux-off or a variation works well

TP

[quote author="wiz1der"]Can I take that as a yes? I need one, and a parts list if you have it. Thats for the mxl2001 right?

Is this a simple First Project?[/quote]

The parts list is on the last page of the original TapeOp article:

http://www.mojaveaudio.com/

SD is there also. Anyone ever fiddle with the partial 5718 circuits David uses as illustrations in the SD article?

Back