Sandy damage to an LA610

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

I picked this unit up from a friend of mine who's just getting back on his feet after sandy (yeah, 2 years...) went to his place. literally ON the water (spit out of his front door and you hit ocean)  Most of his gear was totally destroyed beyond recognition.  For some reason he kept a few pcs.  This being one (another was a C414 that actually doesn't look bad, but sounds like its still under water).  Amazing what salt water can do to components.  The cinemag is flaky to the touch.

http://imgur.com/a/3kaH9#0

Shake n Bake bro!

I think that you can stick a fork in all electro-mechanical parts there- pots, switches, transformers, meters, plugs, etc.  If lucky and the PCB traces have not been oxidized the boards themselves could be OK but a box like that submersed in saline-electro-caca fluid you can prolly bag all the PCB mounted components. The resistors they used are $hitty anyway. . .  And all the wires wicked that evil fluid into their inner-sancti, so, gone as well.  And where was this kept after the fact?  There could be a huge green mass of mold consuming all the magic smoke inside. . .
Probably good for the PCB's if there are traces remaining, and some of the chassis parts for a "gravitas" angle.  I could offer more hope if you said he dumped it in a 5 gal bucket of potable water after it was salvaged.
Mike

This was found a few weeks after i believe.  House was totally destroyed.  And yes, this is akin to a burnt piece of bacon... was once kinda tasty, but now, just a solid pile of junk.  The board actually does look pretty clean, but i couldn't imagine the cost to repair this would be worth the time or effort.

Sandy was terrible. Yes it takes two years at least to get back from something that devastating. I have helped some people get back on their feet and they are just now getting back into the swing.

That being said. Saltwater and debris is the ultimate destroyer. I would actually be worried that thing might have mold or worse on it that could be incredibly toxic. Don't try and rebuild this it just ain't worth it unless it is some how a sign of tribal rebirth or something.

Now to the IMO phase of the response. This is an LA610 MKII is it not? Never to be confused with its predesessor. It is a bad piece of design it is truly not a good sounding unit. I own one and it has been in the box since the first session I used it on. I have checked others out they are the same. Don't bother they are truly a low point in the otherwise wonderful offerings of UA. I am being diplomatic here because UA usually offers a great sound to the table not here!

Save the mic!

See i love my la610mkii. It gets a lot of hate for some reason.  One person disliked it because he couldnt get a clean sound out of it (until i showed him in the manual what that first gain switch actually does). That being said, youre right about doing any kind of repairs on it. It doesnt smell bad which is a plus, but the rust is making me want to update my tenanus shot lol.

I opened the mic tonight to find salt crystals in the body but surprisingly little damage to the boards. The only components that look bad on the boards are the little push button switches whose faces are rusty. The wind screen has rust on it but just a few spots.  It looks like all the debris and rust particles were drawn to the capsule which looks attrocious. No clue if it can be salvaged or not, but id be tempted to replace those switches and the capsule just to see what happens. I could re-chrome the wind screen with some gold krylon and just replace the second layer with new mesh (that part collected most of the rust). Other than that the inductor in there still looks shiny and new. Theres some corrosion on some pins that looks like it would clean up no prob. Perhaps a nice alcohol brushing?  Suggestions?

Ask him to contact UA directly. they may feel some pity and offer him a replacement at their cost...
would make an awesome PR story for them.

/R