Say Goodbye to the 5534?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno if anyone has seen this yet but this link Search results - TI.com which required a login to see inventory produced this result:

NE5534APE4.JPG
The link to the NE5534APE4 package 404s and the inventory level shown is the same as the NE5534AP.

This link doesn't require a login but it shows the NE5534APE4 as also still being active. One would hope that TI is undergoing a packaging change and hasn't fully implemented it. Search results - TI.com

Last edited:
This situation has been coming for some time. Depending on the application there are probably better subs, but they may be different for different applications.

There may be some old legacy designs that are dialed in for things like the specific 5534 input bias current, etc.

JR

I haven't checked the pinouts for the alleged replacements, but MANY desks used 5534s which often have a small value compensation cap hanging between pins 5 and 8. There are literally (hundreds?) of thousands 5534 chips quietly doing their jobs today.

Dunno what those pins on the new/superduper chips chips do. Dunno how the new chips will perform in the same socket. Time to stock a few dozen/hundred 5534s.

Bri

I haven't checked the pinouts for the alleged replacements, but MANY desks used 5534s which often have a small value compensation cap hanging between pins 5 and 8. There are literally (hundreds?) of thousands 5534 chips quietly doing their jobs today.

Dunno what those pins on the new/superduper chips chips do. Dunno how the new chips will perform in the same socket. Time to stock a few dozen/hundred 5534s.

Bri
Not a bad idea but it doesn't look like they're permanently going away in PDIP.

We saw a similar pattern a few years ago when it looked like TI had disco'd the LME49710/49720/LM4562 when in fact they hadn't - it was only a processing or packaging change in lead frame/overmold compound. A deeper dive into some of the earlier PCNs reveal that TI is porting a lot of the jellybean linear to larger wafer size and modernized processes.

The November 2, 2023 datasheet update showing them to soon be available (sampling) in "E4" suffix is after the PCN notices Mouser and DigiKey are posting showing "P" and "AP" devices disco'd. That said I bought a stash anyway and have more on BO.

TI has 71,000+ NE5534P in inventory in the non-E4 package that I'm sure they want to sell before packaging up a bunch of 5534 die.

OT but earlier this spring a visitor from Sherman and I were talking and he reported that on his way to DFW concrete trucks were lined up for miles in Sherman pouring slabs for TI's new fab. When fully-built out they'll be turning out 10 million chips a day from that one facility.

I hope the onshoring of semiconductor production continues. I see that packaging is also returning.

https://ir.amkor.com/news-releases/...unces-us-advanced-packaging-and-test-facility
I wonder who TI contracts with for packaging?
"packaging" ..... of course that reminds me of a story. Back in the 70s when I was running my kit business. The merchandising was based around construction articles running in Popular Electronics magazine, with around 500k circulation back then. A cover article guaranteed strong sales, but it was mostly front loaded coming within weeks of the cover date.

I based a tape noise reduction kit around the then new NE570 compander IC. I ordered something like a thousand parts through distribution and was told that they were "in stock". As the publication date approached and the parts were still on back order, I called the distributor to light a fire under them to hurry up my delivery. The parts their system showed in stock, were at die level and in Malaysia being packaged. I eventually got my order a couple weeks after the article ran, and the race was on. FTC mail order rules said that if I can't ship the mail order within 30 days, I must contact the customer and give them the option to approve a later delivery date or request a refund.

As a small one man business notifying hundreds of customers could really consume time and effort that would be better spent fulfilling orders. I managed to source a self mailer using multi-layers with carbon paper where I could print a notice with a dot matrix printer that addressed the mailer outside, with a private message concealed inside.

My kit business survived that drama but I learned a lesson to question (in stock where?), when a sales rep says the parts are in stock. 🤔

JR

For probably stoopid reasons, for many years, I've always ordered the "A" suffix 5532 and 5534 chips. I am not doing mass production, so a small/moderate price bump doesn't matter. I even use the SA5534A for my little oddball Otari hybrid replacement....trying to keep the "premium, no holds barred" in the product that is sold. Again, only a small price bump for a small scale product. shrug

Checking Mouser....they say SA5534 is EOL.

With TI's odd new numbering will we have a NE5534ABCLSMFTXYZ for a PDIP? <g>

Bri

<LSMFT won't mean anything to folks who didn't grow up in the 1960's>

<hint....It's Toasted>

In the past when it was announced the end of life of a through hole component that was commonly used in audio, I relaxed and didn’t buy stock of it.

It happened this many times, but I remember quite well when it happened with the MAT02 and the BC184C, I regretted after not having bought a nice of stock of those before their funeral.

So now, even though I don’t need any 5534 at the present, I will not commit the same mistake.

Got a stock locally, so I should be fine:

IMG_2585.jpeg

A quick update in the 5534 thread WRT the 5532...

I just found in the JRC selection guide (2021) https://www.mouser.com/pdfDocs/NJROpAmp_SelectionGuide_V01_20210107.pdf a reference to "renewal standard" product being redesigned for modern fab processes. Included in the renewal standard line is the NJM5532C in SMT. The "C" suffix is the redesigned 5532. The original are the "M" suffix. The NJM5532C has its own datasheet. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/294/NJM5532C_E-1917429.pdf And yes JRC (Nisshinbo) are still making the 5532D and 5532DD (5532A) in DIP though they have gotten very pricey as of late.

FWIW the 70K NE5534 DIP shown as in stock in the TI Store cannot be loaded, in any qty, into a cart.

Attachments

• NJR_Renewal_Standard_Products.JPG
    NJR_Renewal_Standard_Products.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • NJR_Renewal_Standard_Products_1.JPG
    NJR_Renewal_Standard_Products_1.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
That looks pretty damn close to the original...

It must have been hard to resist incorporating improvements but it looks like they stuck to the original internal topology.

JR

Latest posts

Back