Schaeffer introduces beta of online version of Front Panel Designer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says my screen is too small (1920/1080) 😟
Works so far (with 1920x1200) and does what it should. Not very performant, no 3D preview and no printing option to create dummy front panels for the mechanical construction. That is lame. Maybe still to come, as BETA??? Pretty expensive...Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 16-16-57 FPD-Web.png

What is the utility of a web app compared to the "standard" software ? I don't get it
The advantages are that you can work on projects from anywhere, a computer with Internet access and you are ready to go, you don't have to install anything and you always have your project data with you. The whole thing is (more or less) platform-independent, which can all make sense. I work with EasyEDA like this, which is really practical if you work on several computers.

There are also disadvantages. From my point of view, the dependence on the Internet and the platform is the biggest risk. Some would certainly also mention data security...

I keep all my projects on a cloud folder and access remotely from multiple computers. Same for PCBs.

Personally I would have found a lot more useful if the company invested their time in optimizing the existing software.

For example the HPGL import process via Corel Draw has driven me crazy at times.
They should just implement a conversion within Front Design.

I use gitlab to store all my projects online AND keep tracks of revisions, issues...

All my kicad libraries and templates for 2d/3d cad are also updated through gitlab.

This gives me the best of both world, my files are available on the cloud AND stored on my own PC, so if gitlab suddenly stop or ask for money, i can quit and lose nothing.

Bests,

Thomas

Back