Best universal front panel software compatible with industrial standards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredW

Hello,

I'm already creating my front panels for years with plaquendirect.fr (which is a reseller of Frontpanel.se - Där du beställer din panel online services ).
But I think their services are very expensive and their embedded web front panel design software is very limited, which is frustrating. Not possible to send more elaborated designs made on a specific software.

So I have 2 questions !

1) I wondered which software is the best universal front panel design, that can generate files accepted by almost all front panel industrials (including drills, cuts, laser engraving, print, etc).

2) And I would like to find a cheaper service than plaquendirect / frontpanel.se, I remember 8 years ago I've let a DIY front panel designer realizing some complex designs for me, and I know he used to work with a firm situated in lithuania or a nearby country (I cannot remember exactly).
So if you know some cheap front panel cutting firms in central or eastern europe, or even, why not, in china (if their work is cheap and good) I'm interested. The goal is to make single units inox or aluminium panels for my own devices at the lowest price available or at least reasonable price.
I don't want to pay anymore 150 € for a single 230 x 120 mm brushed inox plate with only few drills and texts.

If you could help, it would be very appreciated.

Hello,

I'm already creating my front panels for years with plaquendirect.fr (which is a reseller of Frontpanel.se - Där du beställer din panel online services ).
But I think their services are very expensive and their embedded web front panel design software is very limited, which is frustrating. Not possible to send more elaborated designs made on a specific software.

So I have 2 questions !

1) I wondered which software is the best universal front panel design, that can generate files accepted by almost all front panel industrials (including drills, cuts, laser engraving, print, etc).

2) And I would like to find a cheaper service than plaquendirect / frontpanel.se, I remember 8 years ago I've let a DIY front panel designer realizing some complex designs for me, and I know he used to work with a firm situated in lithuania or a nearby country (I cannot remember exactly).
So if you know some cheap front panel cutting firms in central or eastern europe, or even, why not, in china (if their work is cheap and good) I'm interested. The goal is to make single units inox or aluminium panels for my own devices at the lowest price available or at least reasonable price.
I don't want to pay anymore 150 € for a single 230 x 120 mm brushed inox plate with only few drills and texts.

1) If you're already comfortable with the frontpanel designer software, then what I would do is reach out to some local machinists/cnc services and see what file types they can accept- you may be able to export the necessary file type from the software you already use.

2) I'd be interested to know who you find. Problem is, frontpanel.se/frontpanelexpress (USA) are always going to charge more for small runs. Tooling changes take up time and time=$$$$. Instead of looking for a massive factory in China, maybe look for a super small shop nearby and build a relationship there.

1) If you're already comfortable with the frontpanel designer software, then what I would do is reach out to some local machinists/cnc services and see what file types they can accept- you may be able to export the necessary file type from the software you already use.

2) I'd be interested to know who you find. Problem is, frontpanel.se/frontpanelexpress (USA) are always going to charge more for small runs. Tooling changes take up time and time=$$$$. Instead of looking for a massive factory in China, maybe look for a super small shop nearby and build a relationship there.

if you want something a bit more special.....get a decent graphic designer to do it. files supplied in DXF or one of the compatible CAD formats should do it. it's not a massively difficult task to design something like that. i'd be happy to take a run at it if you have some more info on it.

Quite a few of the Chinese PCB manufacturers seem to have branched out into sheet metalwork and 3D printing. I am not sure if they do engraving or UV printing on panels. I have not tried them myself but they are tempting.

Cheers

Ian

if you want something a bit more special.....get a decent graphic designer to do it. files supplied in DXF or one of the compatible CAD formats should do it. it's not a massively difficult task to design something like that. i'd be happy to take a run at it if you have some more info on it.
If you are planning to use machined engravings, it's a lot easier to use FrontDesign because it's optimized for this process.
With a generic graphic software it needs some extra consideration about the size of the engraving bits and the tool paths.
CorelDraw is well equipped for dealing with engravings but FrontDesign is a lot easier to use.

I am trying, again, FreeCad now version 20-something and I have some difficulties learning it, because I am lazy, not that it's so hard, but I will definitely have to get serious about it.
It will definitely do what you want and export files in pretty any format this side of the galaxy! :)

And right at this moment I got the idea of using printed circuit board material and make a fake PCB at one of those inexpensive PCB manufacturer in China. Now that they have different colours for the solder mask, including flat black (PCBway) with white lettering,
I use KiCad to design the front panel. All the holes are made on the "edge cut" layer and I fill the whole surface with a copper pour on both sides so the final base colour is very uniform.
The leterring is done on the "F silkscreen" layer and you can use any font and adjust the size and the position.

I will place my first order of some rear and front panel within a few days and will let you know if you are interested.
This is for a microphone project I am developing .
Luc

Hello,

So I have 2 questions !

Hello,

So I have 2 questions !

https://www.electronic-software-shop.com/lng/en/electronic-software/frontdesigner-30.html

Latest posts

Back