Schroff subrack back panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramshackles

Hi
I've been looking for back panels for schroff 84HP 3 and 6U subracks - to protect PCB back planes - and wondered if anyone had a .fpd file or could link to a technical drawing?

Farnell sells this:
http://uk.farnell.com/schroff/20838-188/panel-aluminium-3u-84hp/dp/1371369

I don't know if it would comfortably fit on the back, but I can't see much difference in the attachments between back and front on my subrack. Farnells datasheet leaves a lot to be desired...

Ideally, a front panels express file would be more useful than buying from farnell as it would need holes for connectors drilling, etc...

Hi,
  Using front panel express you can make either a 6u or 3u panel that will fit your subrack by choosing 19" partial front panel and then choosing 84hp for the width. For the wholes you could use one of the files Ian is sharing for the eztube mixer front panel designs as a reference. Thats what i did for the fader panel i created. If you have no engraving or holes i would buy the schroff one it'll be cheaper.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Pierre

There is a wealth of information on the Schroff UK web site. If you ask they will send you a catalogue which is packed with info and drawings. I find it indispensable.

Usually the front rails (extrusions) are designed to take panels. The rear rails are designed to take connectors or motherboards, not panels. If you want to fit a panel to the rear as well you usually have to add a set of font rails to the back so you can mount the panel.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers guys.
I wonder how much of a necessity it is; I presume none of you guys building the EZTubeMixer are putting a back panel on then?

In that case; are your XLR connectors etc soldered on to the back plane PCB and it's just left open at the back or do you have some other system?

ramshackles said:
Cheers guys.
I wonder how much of a necessity it is; I presume none of you guys building the EZTubeMixer are putting a back panel on then?

In that case; are your XLR connectors etc soldered on to the back plane PCB and it's just left open at the back or do you have some other system?

On my version all the connectors and output transformers are on the backpanels and are connected to the backplane via wires...
Were are you at with your build?

Regards,

Pierre

ruffrecords said:
There is a wealth of information on the Schroff UK web site. If you ask they will send you a catalogue which is packed with info and drawings. I find it indispensable.

Usually the front rails (extrusions) are designed to take panels. The rear rails are designed to take connectors or motherboards, not panels. If you want to fit a panel to the rear as well you usually have to add a set of font rails to the back so you can mount the panel.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
  Is the catalogue you got in the mail different then the one you can download as a pdf? The pdf one has 120m pages....

Regards,

Pierre

anjing said:
ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
  Is the catalogue you got in the mail different then the one you can download as a pdf? The pdf one has 120m pages....

Regards,

Pierre

I think the printed one is identical except for the weight!

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
anjing said:
ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Regards,

Pierre

I think the printed one is identical except for the weight!

Cheers

Ian

and nicer feel....

anjing said:
ramshackles said:
Cheers guys.

On my version all the connectors and output transformers are on the backpanels and are connected to the backplane via wires...
Were are you at with your build?

Regards,

Pierre

Thanks for the info!
My build..well I have a twin line amp card built up as 2 line amps with an idea to turn that into a compressor...a few universal eq cards that are empty, a couple of my own 2 channel discrete/IC preamps on eurocards..a 3U schroff subrack and a load of parts, diagrams and sketches!

I'm really more planning things out and gathering stuff, testing stuff than building....it ebbs and flows with the cash!

ramshackles said:
Thanks for the info!
My build..well I have a twin line amp card built up as 2 line amps with an idea to turn that into a compressor...a few universal eq cards that are empty, a couple of my own 2 channel discrete/IC preamps on eurocards..a 3U schroff subrack and a load of parts, diagrams and sketches!

I'm really more planning things out and gathering stuff, testing stuff than building....it ebbs and flows with the cash!

To some extent it depends on which Schroff rack you have bought. One type takes connectors directly and you can hand wire a bus along the bcak. The other type is designed to take a backplane PCB. My original backplane PCB had 6 slots and included positions for mic and line input XLRs on the rear of the PCB riginally with the idea of mounting a rear panel directly to it al la 500 series. However, if you want balanced outs you need to use an external Carnhill transformer for which there is no room. The result is that as far as I know, nobody uses the built in XLR connector pads on the rear of the PCB. This PCB has now be superseded by a two slot backplane PCB. As well as giving greater flexibility, the two slot PCB has positions for Molex connectors for mic and line in and also corrects a few minor errors on the original version. If you are building a sub-rack based device the idea would be to use one deep enough to allow the ouput transformers to be mounted on a rear panel along with the input and output connectors and wire these to the Molex connectors on the back of the 2 slot motherboard. You would need something like an extra 100mm of depth for this so you would need to use a rack that was about 275mm deep rather than the standard 175mm depth.

We discussed this during the EZ Tube Mixer design some time ago and I even did a sketch showing the basic idea:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/docs/EzTubeMixer/Mechanics/MIcPreMechAssyShortscaled.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian

I had a metal shop cut some sheet stock--still gotta layout and drill holes--but at a fraction of the cost 

this guy has done good work for me

http://ddawgamps.com/Amp_Chassis.php

ruffrecords said:
ramshackles said:
Thanks for the info!

To some extent it depends on which Schroff rack you have bought. One type takes connectors directly and you can hand wire a bus along the bcak. The other type is designed to take a backplane PCB. My original backplane PCB had 6 slots and included positions for mic and line input XLRs on the rear of the PCB riginally with the idea of mounting a rear panel directly to it al la 500 series. However, if you want balanced outs you need to use an external Carnhill transformer for which there is no room. The result is that as far as I know, nobody uses the built in XLR connector pads on the rear of the PCB. This PCB has now be superseded by a two slot backplane PCB. As well as giving greater flexibility, the two slot PCB has positions for Molex connectors for mic and line in and also corrects a few minor errors on the original version. If you are building a sub-rack based device the idea would be to use one deep enough to allow the ouput transformers to be mounted on a rear panel along with the input and output connectors and wire these to the Molex connectors on the back of the 2 slot motherboard. You would need something like an extra 100mm of depth for this so you would need to use a rack that was about 275mm deep rather than the standard 175mm depth.

We discussed this during the EZ Tube Mixer design some time ago and I even did a sketch showing the basic idea:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/docs/EzTubeMixer/Mechanics/MIcPreMechAssyShortscaled.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian

I wonder if there would be enough space on a backplane PCB for a smaller profile output transformer like a lundahl

ramshackles said:
I wonder if there would be enough space on a backplane PCB for a smaller profile output transformer like a lundahl

Pretty much definitely not. When I did the layout of the new two slot backplane PCB I tried to include a 12V TO220 regulator, its small heatsink and a couple of caps . Couldn't get them in so I am pretty sure there's no room for a Lundahl.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back