SCT2000 transformer alternative

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElSmurf

Late August I ordered an SCT2000 PSU from Thomann, only to find the transformer hummed. I had a similar issue with the micparts PSU that came with my V251 kit. This was resolved by Matt sending me a tested transformer that didn't hum. Hoping I just got a unit from Thomann with a bad transformer, I returned it and got a replacement. Long story short, I just plugged in the third one they sent me and it also hums, so I'm looking to go a different way.

My goal is to build a PSU for my 251 clone, and the SCT2000 route would've been the easiest since I could've just plopped in one of Dany's PSU PCBs. I might still go that route, depending on what transformer I can score. Which is my first question - where would I be able to source a transformer, preferably in Europe, that would do the job. Are there custom made options I'm unaware of? My plan B was to have a custom toroidal with shielding built by Audiophonics in France, who do a great job, but their lead time is a few months.

And a more general question - what is up with mains transformers that produce sound? One of the transformers in my D-EF47 PSU also hums (or is it the choke?) and I haven't had the courage, or taken the time, to troubleshoot it. Maybe I'm overlooking something... All my other gear on the same circuit is dead quiet, commercial or DIY.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Late August I ordered an SCT2000 PSU from Thomann, only to find the transformer hummed. I had a similar issue with the micparts PSU that came with my V251 kit. This was resolved by Matt sending me a tested transformer that didn't hum. Hoping I just got a unit from Thomann with a bad transformer, I returned it and got a replacement. Long story short, I just plugged in the third one they sent me and it also hums, so I'm looking to go a different way.

My goal is to build a PSU for my 251 clone, and the SCT2000 route would've been the easiest since I could've just plopped in one of Dany's PSU PCBs. I might still go that route, depending on what transformer I can score. Which is my first question - where would I be able to source a transformer, preferably in Europe, that would do the job. Are there custom made options I'm unaware of? My plan B was to have a custom toroidal with shielding built by Audiophonics in France, who do a great job, but their lead time is a few months.

And a more general question - what is up with mains transformers that produce sound? One of the transformers in my D-EF47 PSU also hums (or is it the choke?) and I haven't had the courage, or taken the time, to troubleshoot it. Maybe I'm overlooking something... All my other gear on the same circuit is dead quiet, commercial or DIY.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.
You hear the hum in the audio, or is the case and the transformer itself humming?

Sorry can't answer your question, but going to think out loud. Does it actually matter if it hums? In a very quiet recording space, recording very quiet source probably yes. But in a not so quiet place recording close miced vocals for example? Also, I think it's not very uncommon that a mains transformer hums IIUIC? I was just about to order couple of these btw.

(Edit: seeing the post above, I assumed the latter)

Back