SE 6V6 Guitar Amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10k plate resistor?
EI50 lams?
How does the reverb sound with the boost on?

The reverb drive has a separate input 1 st stage preamp. Complete independence from the 2 stage dry Input with boost. Different. Seems like you can get a 100% wet with that arrangement. 12k input impedance for the output transformer is rather high as mentioned.

I have a 5f2 I build and have not built the cabinet for a 10” speaker. I’ve seen lots of SE amps with 12” speakers these days. I might just go ahead and build a cab with 12” instead.

I love the 6V6. The very first amp I built back in '63 used a 6V6 driven by a 6J7. Negative feedback from transformer secondary. Hooted like hell but once I got that sorted and improved my lead dress it sounded great.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
I had some time to look at the schematic, good entertainment, thanks again.(y)
yes that is a 12AX7a driving the tank,
On the website they say it is a 12DW7.
12k input impedance for the output transformer is rather high as mentioned.
Maybe a mix-up of 4 and 8 ohm taps? :cool:
The reverb drive has a separate input 1 st stage preamp. Complete independence from the 2 stage dry Input with boost. Different.
That's really different!

12DW7 is more like half a 12AX7 and half a 12AU7 in the same envelope ,
there pretty rare as well .
I have a few somewhere ,

Interesting to note the tank drive impedence is around 2000 ohms ,denoted by the second letter of the tank code F .

I dont like the sound of internal amp reverbs much , I'd rather a tank driven by speaker out and attenuated through a wirewound pot , wet signal recovered seperately and blended back in at the sound desk .

12DW7 is more like half a 12AX7 and half a 12AU7 in the same envelope ,
there pretty rare as well .
I have a few somewhere ,
Yes, that's why. The 12DW7 makes more sense as an OTL driver tube for the 2000R tank input. The necessary gain comes from the dedicated parallel input stage.
I dont like the sound of internal amp reverbs much ,
But that can sound really good. I have an DIY Skylark amp with an hardwired tube reverb in front, sound-wise similar to the 6G15, but also designed as an OTL unit.

Last edited:
What I noticed in a repair video. The OPT is really small, but the power transformer is quite fat. The general construction is classic style, I would describe it as high quality, the components are good. It also costs a few bucks...

They don't make that reverb pan anymore , it is a 3 spring long delay hi z in and out, horizontal face down, the obsolete part is the grounds, both in and out jacks are grounded, but the Mod tanks have provisions for changing the gnds with solder pad jumpers so it would be easy to make it into the obsolete tank.

Latest posts

Back