SE O/P Transformer A/B

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swedish Chef

I came across a situation earlier on where I wanted to switch between 2 o/p trannies to compare and contrast, and wondered if I could do it with a single pole changeover.
In the end I opted to just wire the secondaries to seperate jack sockets but wondered what would happen if:

You connect both primary windings to the HT
You have a SPCO to switch the o/p of the amp between the other ends of the primaries
You parallel both the secondaries.
The last point is the one I couldn't get my head around.
How will the secondary of the transformer NOT SELECTED behave and interact with the secondary that IS selected?
Obvoiusly it is a DC resistance to ground, but WTH?!!!!

chef

...but also it will act like a plain old inductor will it not?
No doubt it would screw up all kinds of things :green:

It shouldnm't have taken me so long to tumble to that.
Please forgive me!

chef

You can get away with both secondaries wired together, I believe, if the DCR of the two sec's is not that far off.
Just connect the sec hot while listening and see if any change.

Otherwise, yes, kind of a hassle to wire up a wafer switch to switch both pri and sec at the same time.

I was thinking of problems with the pri might be worse, like switching the B+ on and off while hot, thereby inducing a huge spike in the secondary like car coil, but since you are stepping down to 600, the pulse would be stepped down also, so no need for a make before brake switch.

Hey CJ

I was thinking about connecting the b+ to the plate with a high value resistance like perhaps 10M to try and maintain some voltage on the plate between the break and make of the switch...
What do you reckon?

chef

Latest posts

Back