Sherlock Level-Loc Clone Troubleshooting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="matthias"]@ soundguy and greg: are your shrelocks working now??[/quote]

My auxiliary output is working fine, but my balanced out is really really low. Even before the output tranny, I'm not getting much of a signal. Still don't know why exactly. My voltages looked ok. I'm not sure if I'm going to mess around with it that much longer b/c I'm going to get started on Gyraf's 1176 soon.

> My auxiliary output is working fine, but my balanced out is really really low.

You guys do know, right? that the XLR Out on a Shure LevelLoc is a MIKE-level output?

It was made for putting into existing PA systems, where the mike gain was right, but loud-talkers were overloading the system. So when not limiting, the output is the same as the input. And when limiting, obviously the output is less than the too-strong input.

Also this scheme allowed use of a stock mike transformer (backward) instead of a bigger line-out transformer.

So it goes in a MIKE input, not a line input. And compared to big-condenser on drum mikes, its limiting level will seem awful low. In fact, the limiting level is just what you expect from a dymanic mike 6, 12, or 18 inches away from a semi-loud talker's mouth.

Internally, the LevelLoc has to generate several-volt swings to smack the FET into submission, so there is a low line-level AUX out. That is a perfectly good place to come out, if the LevelLoc is near the board, and avoids going through a second cheezy mike-tranny. (But that second tranny might be the final polish on "the sound".)

Put a dynamic mike (SM57) into the board, talk it like a lecturer or preacher (not like Mick Jagger), and set the board gain for good peaks. Then put the LevelLoc (or clone) in the same input at the same gain, and SHOUT/PLAY REAL LOUD!!! It should be around the right level now.

i just finished building my shureloc and the power switch isnt working. the power is always on (i guess thats better than always off) i checked all my volatges with moos' list and mine are all slightly higher. any ideas?

hi,

I finished soldering my sherlock today and I was just hooking it up...

hmmm... it passes audio, but it sounds more distorted than compressed...

here's a short soundfile (808-Drumloop)

http://www.cmaudio.net/levelloc.mp3

I didin't use the suggested input transformer and connected the line-in jack directly to the input pot (50k) I monitored the output signal via the aux output ...

and... I had no access to the original transistors, so I used replacements:

2N5089 -> BC550C
TIS93 -> 2N3906
2N5458 -> BF245A

I read on different websites, that they should be quite suitable replacements...

what do you think ??

cheers,
mat

I turned up the volume of the drummachine very slowly!!

but there was no limiting, just "overdrive" as more as I opened the iout level knob of the level lock...

I think first I will look out for the original transistors..

mat

I was playing with it with line level signals going in, even turned down extremely low the thing just compresses and never recovers, making it sound like its not compressing at all and just adding noise. If using it with line level sources hook up a 40db pad so it gets somthing similar to the mic level signal its expecting. (I am using a 30db shure pad, and I think that its to small).

i can make an mp3 as soon as i get my sherlock back from my buddy who borrowed it.

btw, that drum machine sounds darn good w overdrive.

matthias-

I doubt your box is broken, that clip definitley has a level lock distortion sound to it, and as stated, you just arent hearing the release, which is where you get the main character of the box. I have a broken levellock if you want to know what that sounds like...

dave

dave... let's go... ;)

I think overdrive/distortion is a matter of taste...

at this time I couldn't recognize any typical "limiting" behavior
but I really don't know how the level loc should sound like...

so it would be great if anybody with a working LL could record a short mp3 (pref. drums) while playing with the input level pot..

first of all... I ordered the original transistors today... ;)

cheers,
mat

matthias, FWIW, Ive always looking at a levellock as a distortion box much more than as a control box. Its very much effect over control. It will for instance, make your drums louder and bring them forward but ALWAYS with distortion... Sorta like your 1176 if the attack and release were stuck in the fast position...

dave

Latest posts

Back