Shure 330 Ribbon Moc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! Just got a shure 330 ribbon mic off of Craigslist. The guy said it was non functioning and needed work but I plugged it in and it sounded fine (I think?). I tested it with a focusrite 2i4 and the gain needed to be maxed out to get a decent level. Anyone know if that’s normal for these? What should I be looking for? Anyone know any mods for these ribbon mics?

The 330 is multi-impedance, 50, 50 or 250 ohms. You need to check that first. There's a screwdriver actuated switch at the front of teh swivel.
Anyway, it's a low sensitivity mic, as most ribbons, and the Focusrite interfaces do not have tons of gain, like many interfaces that are optimized for close micing.

Into a focusrite, absolutely maxed. Shure’s ribbon method is unique and there may be no one repairing them as original anymore. Dick Gardener was the guy who had all the original ribbon stock, and was in his 90’s when he repaired a 300 for me 6-7 years ago.

It is a unidirectional ribbon mic, which is a special kind of mic. Not many of that type made anymore. I had one and it had a 'distinct' sound. Complex inside as it reduces sound from the back side of the ribbon.
The only service it might need is a new ribbon if the current ribbon is in poor shape. Since yours is working, I would leave it alone. Build a good preamp and you'll get more out of it.

Anyone know any mods for these ribbon mics?
no, definitely not.
There are a lot of modern cheap ribbons that are good platforms for mods, but a vintage unidirectional one like this is better left alone.

I've repaired many of the Shure's over the years. What is unique about their ribbon method emrr? They are all traditionally corrugated. At least all the ones I've seen =)

I also don't recommend modification, other than possibly bypassing the impedance selector, if it is faulty (which is very common).

A lot of the Shure ribbons I get in have tramp metal impeding the movement of the ribbon, which will cause distortion. The only solution is to clean it out and replace the ribbon.

Regards

Jon

Last edited:
I've repaired many of the Shure's over the years. What is unique about their ribbon method emrr? They are all traditionally corrugated. At least all the ones I've seen =)

I also don't recommend modification, other than possibly bypassing the impedance selector, if it is faulty (which is very common).

A lot of the Shure ribbons I get in have tramp metal impeding the movement of the ribbon, which will cause distortion. The only solution is to clean it out and replace the ribbon.

Regards

Jon
I was always told there was something unique about their ribbon material, not sure what exactly…..it was always “you gotta get Dick to do those”.

Well, you know me. I don't know Dick! =P
Memory is Dick was the Clarence of Shure - get it? Got all their remaining stock, whatever it was specifically. I only remember hearing it was unique to Shure. Right or wrong that’s what the old-timers had to say about Shure ribbons 25+ years ago in rec.audio.pro days……

He did mine in 2015. No internet presence, had to send him the mic and a check in advance for the work.

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=9051666&postcount=13

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys! It seems like it’s fine for now so I’ll guess I’ll just off of the good ole “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” If the ribbon goes and needs replacing I’ll come back here and ask for some contacts. Thanks!

emrr, that was an attempt at a funny =P And I didn't know you were a rec.audio.pro guy. I lurked there for years, until the noise level got too high for me to bear.

I've read some of Dicks writings previously.

The only gotcha on these mics is that you don't undo the clamps with a screwdriver. They use a custom spanner nut that needs to be removed. If you try to "unscrew" the screws from the clamps, you risk shearing them off, and at a minimum, it comes apart, and most don't know the proper order to put them back together in.

The number of people who have sent mics and said "I have a mic I need reribboned", and the "mic" is a body and a baggie of parts, is currently > 3. =)

I replace those spanner nuts with brass nuts, so that someone in the future has some chance of repairing them.

Here's a pic of me cleaning up a completely unattached frame. Top is original, bottom is what I replace with. #prettynuts

Shure3xx.jpg
Regards

Jon

Last edited:
Of course, it was just a prop. I have seen numerous shots of the disconnected cord hanging off the end of the desk. I guess the stage crew got a little careless about it sometimes.
I am curious if anyone has ever had any success using these. The only place I have ever heard one live was at a church and it sounded thin with no bass. I blamed the installation at the time, but I was 12, I think, so what did I know? It seemed like a terrible waste to use a ribbon on a podium, but that appears to be what they were built for.

My impression was always that when the SM33 first showed up on his desk it was used; those were the days when most TV micing was either boom or desk - lavs became the norm much later. Remember, Carson started on the show back in '62 (the 33 itself showed up in '70, replacing an RCA 77). One didn't need to see an unterminated cable to know they stopped using the 33 at some point - as soon as the lav appeared on his tie, no more ribbon mic (or was just used for safety backup).

Last edited:
I have a Shure 330 which doesn't seem to be working properly.
No matter which preamp I use with it, I don't come out sounding like Johnny Carson.

But seriously... It is old, and it does sound thin and weak, as mentioned above.

I have a Shure 330 which doesn't seem to be working properly.
No matter which preamp I use with it, I don't come out sounding like Johnny Carson.

But seriously... It is old, and it does sound thin and weak, as mentioned above.
Sounds like ribbon

I had my 330 done by Clarence at ENAK years ago, did a great job.

Mods? Get (or make) an in-line 48v booster if you're using something like that Focusrite, it needs a lot of juice like most ribbons.

Back