Shure SM-33 Repair (how to get ribbon motor out)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snellular5

Hey there! Ive got a Shure SM33 that's been having some problems. I figure I will re-ribbon it myself as I have done quite a few microphones and am fairly confident in that side of things. This being said I cant really seem to figure out how to get the ribbon motor out of the body. After taking the grill and internal wind shield out, I'm sort of stuck. If anyone has done this before could you comment on whether or not i need to cut the glue that holds the big magnet in place in order to pry the big magnet from the body? The only screws left are the ones that hold the ribbon in place so that's not the way. I just want to confirm before I destroy this mic by accident haha.

Cheers and thank you in advance!

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_7420.jpg
    IMG_7420.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7419.jpg
    IMG_7419.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
You unscrew the two large screws, and slowly work the motor off. It's glued.

The clamps for the ribbon use spanner screws, do not try unscrewing the flathead screws on the clamps, as that is the back side.

The number of these mics I've received for repair that show up as a box of parts as people attempt what you are doing, is more than I can count on both hands. If you unscrew the screws on the clamps, it all comes apart, and without a good understanding of how it all works, you'll put it back together with a new ribbon, and get no output.

Regards

Jon

You unscrew the two large screws, and slowly work the motor off. It's glued.

The clamps for the ribbon use spanner screws, do not try unscrewing the flathead screws on the clamps, as that is the back side.

The number of these mics I've received for repair that show up as a box of parts as people attempt what you are doing, is more than I can count on both hands. If you unscrew the screws on the clamps, it all comes apart, and without a good understanding of how it all works, you'll put it back together with a new ribbon, and get no output.

Regards

Jon

Thank you so much John! That is what I figured is that the ribbon is on the back of the motor. I will do my best to not have to send it to you in pieces hahahah.

Any tips on what glue I should use to put the magnet back after?

Cheers and thank you so much for your response.

Matt

There are two screws holding the magnet to the frame. There will be some residual glue left. I wouldn't worry about it.

Regards

Jon

Latest posts

Back