Signs the Element is On the Way Out on a Weller WSP80?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

I've been happy with my WSD81 / WSP80 80W 'soldering pencil' for around 5-6 yrs and it's still on its first element. Lately, I've noticed I have to leave it on joints longer for them to heat up. I can't seem to solder as quickly.

Is this a sign the element's on the way out? The temp LEDs say it's the usual temp. Do elements wear out gradually, or just stop working? My old TCIP, which served me for many yrs, just stopped working one day - hence the WSD81 / WSP80 purchase.

Do you use a WSP80? It's so handy, having 80W in such a slim iron. I'm wondering if I need a new element, or maybe a totally new iron?

Thanks in advance
Justin

edit - the element costs nearly as much as a whole iron. Might as well get the whole thing, if need be...

I must be on my hundredth tip since buying the iron...(I did say it's 5-6 yrs old, right?). I have a selection, depending on the joint size. I don't seem to be getting heat to transfer as immediately, regardless of tip.

I don't want to spend out for a new iron if there's a chance it could be the PSU causing an issue. The led display reads 380-degrees - rock solid.

Hi ,
    I have a Weller WES51 for about 6 years now , had the same tip for like 2 years then started seeing what you are describing , changed the tip , problem gone ... but not for long. In my case I found the tip was getting dirty / oxidizing - so what I do now is sizzle the tip for a second or two in some Kester Flux Paste and make sure that I put solder on the tip before I turn it off and this does it for me , I dont know what changed in my " process " but when I see that its starting to take too long to melt the solder I do this and then all is well , been on the same tip for about two years now.

Hope this helps  :)

when I first got the iron, it seemed that I only  had to wave it near a joint to get a cosmetically excellent weld. Now, I have to position the tip to get as much area of it in contact with the joint - it's much harder work.

Your post makes me wonder if weller have changed the tips in some way... I did buy a new threaded collar, which made a massive difference.

Thanks.

fwiw we use wellers at work with the lcd displays. We have had them for ages. Only once did I ever have the  heating element go out and it was real obvious as the lcd would read 800(temp) and never read anything else. Tried to adjust temperature and yes the lcd would show what I was adjusting to but would go back to 800 and stay there. So I really think the problem lies elsewhere.

Back